1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems with a Epiphone Thunderbird reverse IV bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheHarrisonSoun, Nov 13, 2006.

1. So I was changing the strings on my bass. As I'm tightening up the first string, the bridge begins to pull completely out of the body by the progs holding it in place. I'd give you pictures, but I'm too poor to afford a camera. Which is why I'm posting this: is this something that is going to require major repair from a professional (christmas time, yeah), or could I handle this one myself (with limited knowledge of the technical side of bass guitars).

Basically, any advice and experience with this situation would be appreciated. Also if you don't know what I'm talking about, google an Epiphone Thunderbird and check out the bridge setup.

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Are the studs still in the bass? Is it just the bridge moving off the studs or are the studs pulling out of the body? Did you remove all of the strings, as ione might to make it easy to clean the guitar, before restringing?

3. Yeah, the bridge can just slide out on these little hooks. The prongs those hooks connect to are pulling straight out of the body. I took all of the strings off for the exact purpose you mentioned. It's been a while since I last changed the strings, so that mother was gunky.

Anyway, I'm taking it to a shop for an estimate. It might take alot of money, man. Anyone else experience this?

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    To review:

You removed all of the strings from your bass and the bridge is loose. When you put one string on the bridge starts to pull off of the studs. The studs are firmly mounted in the inserts in the top of the guitar. If this is the case, continue restringing. Don't try to bring one string up to pitch. Just get the string installed and more or less taut and go to the next one.

On a bridge/tailpiece or stop tailpiece you can usually remove them to clean the guitar. Then load the strings into the proper holes and begin stringing. If the tailpiece is slotted it's a little harder to keep everything together so do one or two strings at a time. The idea is to tighten the strings just enough to hold the hardware in place while putting the rest of the strings on. Try this. Put the inside strings (A or D strings) on first to balance the system and hold everything in place. Then put the outside strings (E and A) on. Bring the instrument up to pitch. You're done.

5. i had this same problem luckilly my bass was only a month old so it went back 2 the shop for a week and the shop goblin....i mean repair man fixed it for me.......a right pain in the butt that was

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    You mean like my white one did here?
    EpiStudProblem.jpg

Crazy glued(gel) the studs in. If they come up again, they get JB Weld. The end strap button also comes loose..VERY DANGEROUS. Dropped T-Bird ain't pretty.
    I used JB Weld(Quik) on the straploc screws. Buy 'em to play 'em or else they get eBay'd.

How did I find out?
    The action mysteriously started getting higher and the bass got to be more of a fight to play. Never thought to check the bridge pins....I looked at them accidently while cleaning the bass!

7. yep that same thing happened to me (put me right off those crappy bridges) as mentioned above, dont know how repair guy fixed it (maybe a good epoxy based glue rather than a cyanoacrylate (super/crazy) was used).

i would say get it to a shop, shame its a limited ed one too you would expect the QC to be higher than standard models.

i have had no bother with my dunlop straplocks since i fitted them (forgot to wax the threads on the 1st one tho, as i did 3 basses off the trot i thought i had waxed them all but not that one)

8. This is exactly whats up. Epiphone is seriously letting me down.

I think I'm just going to call Epiphone and see what I can beat out of them.