1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems With A New Rickenbacker's Strap Buttons

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassdie, Sep 30, 2009.

1. bassdie

bassdie

Jul 14, 2009
    Boston
    I recently Purchased a Rickenbacker 4003 and teh first thing i said was I need to get strap locks on this thing. It supposedly came with Schaller locks installed but when I went to guitar center and tried on the schaller tops they diddnt fit. Anyone else have this problem?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Can you post a pic of one of your strap pins?

3. bassdie

bassdie

Jul 14, 2009
    Boston
    Will do.

4. bassdie

bassdie

Jul 14, 2009
    Boston
    DSC00028.
    DSC00025.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Looks like a standard Ric Schaller button to me - I have two guitars with those exact buttons. Are you sure the store didn't try Dunlops or something else?

6. Same. I have 3 with those buttons. The Schaller top is a collar, not a pin, in case you're getting confused.

7. bassdie

bassdie

Jul 14, 2009
    Boston
    yeah they tried schallers, the button on teh horn was able to fit, the one on teh bottom was the problem.

8. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    here's the bad news. Those are a b**ch to get on/off.

9. nella

nella Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I think the problem is that the manufacturing tolerances on these particular parts vary. I had the same issue with an '09 4003 I bought earlier this year. For lack of better descriptive terms, the lip on one of the buttons was slightly too thick for the Schaller lock to slide over.

10. jphilauren

jphilauren

Nov 8, 2007
    Had the same problem, the Schallors are good quality, problem I found was with the strap locks by ALL Parts which are almost an exact duplicate of Schallors. There's where the quality issues is, All parts are not finished as well. My problem was the screw, I noticed that the All Parts is not finished well and the screw head does not seat properly, it may stick out slightly which prevents the lock from fitting properly.

11. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    wait a tick, the bass came with the strap pins but no top locks??

12. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    My MIA P came with both the pins and the locks. My Ric 4003 just came with the pins, no locks.