1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems with a tuning machine

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Visirale, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Sorry if this has been covered, I don't know enough vocabulary about these technical things to do a successful search on the subject...

I just got this epiphone thunderbird today. I love it so far... I was changing the strings and doing a setup. I had taken the strings off to get to the truss rod cover. When I was all finished, I started winding up the strings. Everything did fine... except when I got to the D string, it got really hard to tune. I got it up to tune, but then it made a noise and went way out of tune. The actual tuning head itself won't stay on now. I can put it on and tune it, but nothing is really holding it on, so it falls off if I take my hand off of it.

Any idea of what this might be? On the back of the machines, most of them are flush, but this one has a metal piece that isn't flush. I can push it up and make it flush, but it comes back out too.

Is it broken? Do I need to describe it better?

Thanks... this is just kind of a bummer to deal with. If it is broken, I guess I can just take it back to GC.

2. If this is a new bass, take it back.

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    It is.

Fair enough, back to GC tomorrow. Maybe they'll just get me a new one instead of a floor model...

4. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Took it to GC and they fixed it no problem. I really need to learn the technical aspects of our instrument more... it'd save me a lot of trouble!