problems with ampeg.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Nov 10, 2002.

1. i have an ampeg bse410h cabinet...and ill tell you about ready to throw it off a very large building. when i use the attenuator its very noisy and there is alot of static, when i hit low notes (not even low...E....even F and G) it rattles as though the speakers cant handle the frequency. its an impossibility for the speakers to be blown..or getting blown, because ive never even had at at a real loud volume. its just getting to be a real pain, anyone know what i should do?
  2. Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I was considering buying an Ampeg rig, but its looking like I'm going to buy Carvin. Umm, I've heard a lot of good about Ampeg, and a lot of bad with the quality and reliability. If I were you I'd go for SWR or Carvin. CHap
  3. Hard to tell exactly, but I would guess maybe the attenuator's messed up. Maybe take it in and have it serviced. I assume this has a tweeter, maybe it's fried.

Just cause you didn't play loud doesn't mean it couldn't be damaged, electrical stuff of any brand can have a component fail. Also, could there be a problem with your head? Or speaker cable? or any effects or your bass even, they might not show up until the attenuator is turned up.

And that doesn't mean you need to buy a new cab, why buy another brand just because of one glitch? ("Yeah dude I went and bought a geo metro because a spark plug fouled on my Mercedes" :rolleyes: )

Just my 2 cents worth, let's not start a flame war over brand quality here.
  4. Ampeg's are nice if you get one that works.

I was shocked when my ampeg preamp was really buzzy at first. I had it fixed, and now it's a great amp, but I've heard 50,000 similar stories on this forum.
  5. I used to have an Ampeg 410 HLF and the tweeter blew out all the time. The fuse never protected it and never blew. I replaced it twice (it wasnt that expensive) but the hassle of having it happen all the time got to me. I sold all the ampeg stuff - now I"m an Eden guy.
  6. Hmm....
    I think Ampegs are just as reliable as any other mass manufactured amps. In 10 years on the technical side of the business I have seen gear from just about any manufacturer you can think of fail. This includes SWR, Eden, Hartke, Trace, GK, Marshall, Mesa-Boogie and Ampeg. I personally don't think the SLM Ampegs are made as well as the old ones, but I don't think any of the other stuff is as well made either. From what I've seen and from the experiences of my colleagues Ampegs don't fail with any more frequency than the other brands. As an example, a friend of mine just bought a WT-800. When he got it, it made a sound like there was something loose inside. When I opened it up I discovered that the transformer was not only not bolted on, but not connected. The point is that Ampeg isn't the only manufacturer that has problems with their products. I know that having something fail is very frustrating, but it doesn't mean the product is inherently bad.