1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problems with an SWR Super Redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robot Freak Out, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Robot Freak Out

Robot Freak Out

Oct 20, 2004
    My Super Redhead seems to be on the fritz, and If anyone can offer an idea as to what the problem is I'd be grateful.

I was practicing with my band earlier tonight, running my Jazz bass, which I just installed active EMG's into, through my Super Redhead. I had no extension cab connected, and I was going through a tuner with a compressor in my effects loop.

About half an hour into the practice, the speakers make a very loud buzzing sound, and both my pwr amp and pre amp clipping led's light up. The sound and the lights lasted for less than a second. Afterwards, my rig was about 1/4 the volume it usually is. After checking my bass, all my chords, and turning everything off and on, I plugged out of the active input, and into the passive input on the Super Redhead. The sound was about 1/2 of my usual volume. The amp's casing was barely above room temperature at this point. I guessed that I had blown out the tube in the pre-amp of the Super Redhead. The amp is 3 years old, and the tube has never been replaced, so that seemed to make the most sense to me, but I am next to clueless when it comes to the workings of amplifiers. I was able to get enough sound through the passive input to keep practicing. However, in between songs, while I wasn't playing, my amp started to feedback loudly. I immediately turned down the volume and realized that the amp was working normally.

I really have no idea what's going on with it, but I've got mad props for anyone who can offer me an idea.

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i would suggest trying a different bass first since you just changed the pickups.

3. Robot Freak Out

Robot Freak Out

Oct 20, 2004
    I forgot to mention, I tested the bass through a different amp and it worked fine. Whatever the problem is, it's definatly in the amp. Thanks for the advice, though.