Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with Bart 3-band preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkmuffin, Nov 7, 2004.

1. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Like the subject, or, rather, the pickup blend pot. When its in the center, there's a little bit of hum, and when I turn it away from the center (either direction) the hum gets almost unbearable.

When I dial the magnetic pups out altogether with my piezo blend, the hum goes away altogether.

What's weird is that this has just begun to happen, and nothing on the instument, other than strings has been touched.

Any Ideas?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    has a ground wire (particularly the one from from blend pot) come loose inside the cavity?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

not sure if I'm reading you right but if you get no hum when the peizo is off, it's probably in the peizo. I have a Lightwave that has had trouble with the peizo's getting a good ground.

4. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    I'll have to check -- I thought maybe one of the batteries was in backwards, so I made sure they're in right -- The second one was in straight, but I had fogotten to look at the first one, so it could have been in backwards.

This is an essentially brand new bass, and wasn't making the hum up until a couple weeks back. All of the wire connects in the cavity are kinf of sealed in epoxy, so my guess is that nothing has come undone, but I'll make sure.

Thanks!

5. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio

It actually the other way around -- the hum goes away when I blend the mag pups out.

Thanks!