Problems with Boss SYB-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LowfreqB, Feb 21, 2001.

1. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I was at rehearsal last night and my bass synth pedal started jumping functions. It jumped from t-wah(11) to all over the board really random. It was running on a 9 volt, so I don't believe it was an a total electric problem. Has this happened to anyone else?
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    The SYB3 uses a lot of juice. A 9 volt won't last very long in that pedal. When the battery starts to get weak, the SYB3 will start to do all sorts of strange things.

I've noticed that on battery power, I'll get about 20 minutes of constant use before it starts to act up.

Solution? Use a 110v power adapter.
  3. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Thanks Onyx, I'll go get myself that adapter.
  4. You could also try an alkaline battery. I get 3-4 hours out of it. But mine never started to act up, maybe I didn't have the effect on while the battery died. 99.9% of the time I use a mains adapter.

Getting power to any effect pedal by means of a wall adapter is always a good idea. You never run out of power during a gig. Especially if you got both mains power and a battery, for those instances where some g**tarist runs the adapter out of the outlet. It's more friendly to the environment too.
  5. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Has the boss bass synth got a auto wah function simular to the boss auto wah? I'd like to know so I can just by the bass synth if it has , because buying both is a lot of money.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    One plus of using a battery instead of an adapter is it can help reduce noise. But that's probably only useful in a studio situation.
  7. Depends on what kind of adapter you're using. If you use a standard wall wart you're asking for trouble. I use a 1 amp regulated, stabilized wall adapter, never heard a glitch or a buzz, even on a heavily loaded mains net.

As for the auto wah, The SYB-3 has two auto-wah settings, one "UP" and one "DOWN" with variable sense, a zero-point-frequency knob and a resonance knob. I only use the "UP" function, I set de resonance at max, the dry mix knob at 0 and the zero-point at somewhat over half way and it sounds really whacky.
  8. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    The auto wah 2 doesnt have a bass input however the aw3 does. I have not tried the aw3. The aw2 I felt was really weak in the bass area (it was never designed for bass anyway) I love the syb-3 (now that I fixed my power problem with a $20.00 boss adapter pedal. Lots of functions, get one used on ebay. $100.00 to $150.00 used. $200-$299.00 new.