Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with buzzing/climate changes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Caeros, May 19, 2004.

1. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I live in New England, meaning that I have no idea what a consistent climate is. In the past week the weather has gone from sunny, hot and dry to humid, muggy and grey. My bedroom is pretty warm and well-insulated so I often have the fan going and the window open. My bass, a 2001 Musicman Stingray, spends most of its' time in my room, which is usually warm, but is now cool and moist because of the fan and open window. The bass has been suffering over the past few days because of this. It won't stay in tune (especially in the upper frets) and I consistently get buzz in the lower notes, even when I try to sound the harmonic at the fifth fret of the G string! I've tried setting the bass up and adjusting the truss rod, but it just won't stay in tune anymore! Any suggestions?

2. Usually, buzzing in the lower frets is an indicator that you dial in a little more relief; that should stop the buzzing. As far as the tuning issue, I would take a look at the nut and make sure the strings are not binding. I find it difficult to believe that there is a problem with the tuning machines, although most people would say the tuners are the cause. 90%+ of the time the problem is the nut, not the tuners.

3. Try changing your strings, they may have gone bad during the climate change also, dead string will not hold tune........just a thought!

:eyebrow: Treena

4. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    These are recent strings though... however, I did add some relief and raised the saddles... aside from some iffy intonation on the higher frets, it sounds good and the action gives a good amount of resistance, opposed to when it was very close to the neck.

5. When doing a set-up, intonation is the last step and setting the amount of relief is the first step so it seems normal that the intonation might need a little tweaking after adding relief.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Once you get your bass set up the way you like it, you should take some measurements. Amount of relief, height of the action. That way as the weather changes, etc, you have a set up in mind that you can re-create.

I measure the relief with feeler guages (capo the first fret and hold down at the 12th - measue the gap at the 8th fret) and I measure the action at the last fret in 32nds of an inch.

Mike