Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with Digitech BSW and EHX Bassballs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CaptainHueso, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Simple Delima. T
    he bass: Spector NS2
    rig: GBE600 and GBE 410 xb2
    pedals: EXH Bassballs, Q-Tron, Digitech BSW, Boss TU2

When I hook add the Bassballs and BSW to the pedal chain, they'll only work for a minute or two. Once I start playing at gigging volumes, the Bassballs weakens, the sweep gets less and less and the fuzz takes over, even when the pedal is turned pretty low. The bass is only at half volume, never more, so I wouldnt think it would have anything to do with the pedal farting out. The Digitech is even worse. All settings except the envelope filter eventually just turn into fuzz. I only use the octave stuff when I'm playing high on the neck, so I dont try to pound out low E's or anything like that. But, no matter what, it will just turn to straight fuzz. They both (Bassballs and Digitech) work fine at super low volumes, but when I start to play out, they just stop working. Batteries are brand new all around, and my cables are fine as well. The bass sounds beautiful straight into the amp w/o effects. My Q-Tron is however always trusty, and have never had any issues with it. It works quite well for my needs, but I really wish I could throw some octave synth and fuzzy wah sounds in. What could be causing both of those pedals to stop working?

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    What's the order of your pedals? Have you tried taking one or more of the pedals out of the chain, and seeing if maybe there's an interaction between the processing of one pedal and the processing of another?

Also, you might want to look into replacing the batteries with a 9v power supply.. Like a Godlyke Powerall, OneSpot, or something similar.

3. I normally run the order: Bass - TU2 - Digitech - EHX

I only run the Q tron if the other two arent working which is most of the time, in that case it is after the TU2 as well. Next time I have practice I will try switching the Digitech and EHX pedals and see if I have better results.

4. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounds like you've got some faulty pedals to me. My BSW works perfectly fine, even with lower-quality patch cables all strung in a big loop with other pedals... How old are the BSW and Bassballs?

-Dash

5. The bassballs is around a year old, and the BSW is only a month or so old. Still havent had the chance to change up the order of them in the chain. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

6. Eliminate the variables or you'll never know for sure which pedal(s) are faulty.

Run one pedal at a time with your rig up at gigging volume and try to ascertain if it's one pedal crapping out. Then, run all combinations to see if it's some kind of interaction between two or more pedals.

Test the tuner as well. It's highly unlikely that two pedals are displaying the same fault at the same time, the only thing common to them is the tuner, so I am suspicious of that rather than the other two.

A word of warning, "new" batteries are not always good batteries.