1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems with DiMarzio Model J set - out of phase on G and D strings?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ursoouindio, Jun 13, 2014.

1. ursoouindio

ursoouindio

Mar 30, 2014
    Hi

I have installed a set of Dimarzio Model J DP123 jazz bass pickups on my bass. I have bought it from eBay.

I have followed the Installation Instruction that came with the set, doing the alternative wiring of "Two (2) Push/Pull volume control for Dual Sound", with a regular pot for tone control.

I notice that each pickup when soloed sounds great and the series/parallel switch for each pickup is really evident. The series (push) sounds thicker and the parallel (pull) brighter.

When I have both pickups open, the sound from the strings G and D is much thinner than the sound from the A and E strings.
    When playing the same phrase on each pair of strings, the difference in gain and tone is huge.
    The same test performed with each pickup soloed does not present that difference.

If I do another test, varying from a soloed pickup and opening the other to 100%, volume and tone in the G and D strings vanishes gradually. If I do the same the lower strings, the behavior is much more subtle on the volume and the tone is always rich.

Both pickups are installed with the DiMarzio mark under the G string and, by using a compass, I can tell that both pickups have their poles in the same orientation.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the coils phases the way it is and if it could be solved through wiring. This is my first time messing with my bass internals and I really can't know for sure what to expect.

I can upload some pics of my wiring or some audio for the tones I'm getting, please let me know if that would help you help me! ;)

Looking forward for your inputs!

Best Regards!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the compass check was a good idea, that helps;

does each pickup hum-cancel by itself? you might find one to be noisier than the other, at which point you reverse the wires coming from that pickup's D/G coil. (it's possible the wires were installed at the factory with the colors backwards.)

seansv and ursoouindio like this.
  3. ursoouindio

ursoouindio

Mar 30, 2014
    Walter, thank you for the reply!

I haven't payed attention to the hum canceling. I'll try that with earphones.
    I'll be back with the result :thumbsup:

4. ursoouindio

ursoouindio

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, the neck pickup does hum.

Any expert to tell which wires to swap?

5. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i think you should be able to look at the bottom of the pickup and see which two wires come from which coil; reverse the ones on the coil that isn't sounding right and that coil should now both hum-cancel and sound right with the rest of the circuit.

seansv and ursoouindio like this.
  6. ursoouindio

ursoouindio

Mar 30, 2014
    I did that before reading your message!!
    hehe just joking, thank you so much, you nailed it. :thumbsup:

If any one would ever wonder, it was the white and green wires.

The bass has great tone now, blending the pickups makes my kind of sound.

Thanks again, Walter!

7. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com

ursoouindio likes this.