1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

problems with double thumbing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pandaman37, Nov 21, 2010.

1. pandaman37

pandaman37 Banned

Sep 17, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    when i attempt to double thumb, first off, i have problems bringing my thumb up on thicker strings such as e and a, but its not too big a deal just get some lower gauges or practice more lol..
    the real problem here is that i cant pop the string with my index finger while im doin the thumb motion, i use a closed hand slap technique and its as if my index finger is too far away to maintain the thumbs rhythm whilst simultaneously popping the higher strings.
    is this a problem many people have when theyre beginning this, or should i try lower gauges? (or stop double thumbing altogether haaaa..)

2. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    So are you talking about triplets? As in thumb in/out then index?
    Bringing the thumb out and connecting can be tricky at first, but for the triplet thing my thumb and index are pretty much parallel with each other along the string with the index slightly lower, close your index more and maybe gap it a little more away from the thumb (about an inch+ away from the thumb tip, but still in-line on the string), that way you can get between different strings easier for the pop's too? ; )

I play on a .40 on the G set for this stuff, and about a 2.5mm action ; )

Be aware that you should be striking more in a downward angle with the thumb, when you lift the thumb (back-slap) back out you lift the hand, the index should be stiff and just hooking under the string for the pop not grabbing so to speak, when you lift that should pop too. Set your index further back along the string and keep it in-line but just hook under (we are talking millimetres in movement) and go with the wrist, with quite a rigid(ish) hand style (you'll have to gap the index to which string you want to pop of course).

3. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I know what you mean about your index finger feeling as if it's "too far away" when using your thumb. If you're used to slapping with your thumb pointing up (Larry Graham style as opposed to Flea style) double thumbing will force your thumb into a position where your thumb is closer to being parallel to the strings. This brings your index finger closer to your neck pickup, quite possibly making the pop part of the triplet feel strange or awkward. Just keep with it and you should be fine. Lighter gauge strings definitely make double thumbing easier but they aren't necessary (think Marcus Miller). Good luck. If you want some tutorials on the subject you might want to check out MarloweDK's videos on Youtube.

4. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    This isn't quite flamenco, and the guy should put a shirt on :) But this is the vid from 0.16 to 0.45 that I got the triplet thing together from, it's got some nice chords (which I've done my own version of :ninja:) ; )

5. I found this hard to do myself as well. I pop with my middle finger now cause I feel I can play faster this way and I wasn't very good at doing the thumb up and down so I just bounce off. I think I can play just as fast as the double thumb this way.