Problems with DT

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by adisu, Oct 4, 2005.

1. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    I started to use the DT technique two months ago.
    I use it in regulkar playing (close to the bridge) and not in slaping like victor w.

Now my problem is that after years of playing with the thumb as anchor on the pickup or the E string it's suddenly very hard for me to have no anchor , and i fill like sometime it makes my play unstable when i use the DT.

Did any of you DT'ers ran into this problem???
    I believe many DT players used to play with the thumb as a anchor before they started to use the DT technique so How do you train yourself to play with no anchor???

Thanks in advance,
  2. I've just recently started taking the time to practice a lot of slap stuff and to me this is one of the hardest things to get. When playing fingerstyle I constantly anchored my thumb so it's quite an adjustment for me as well. What I've found works, for me, is to play closer to base of the neck, above the pickups and use my wrist as an anchor right over the pickups. It seems to be the best way to get a consistent sound and feel when DTing. You just have to remember that absolutely nothing is in stone and that you need to experiment with it until you find what works for you. My suggestions are just an attempt to give you ideas about stuff to try. :bassist:
  3. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Thanks Michael Henson.
    anybody else have this problem???
  4. ya i had the same problem my pickups are in a great spot to rest a thume because there long and stick up about a 1/2 inch it just felt right but it in so wrong. i use the wrist or my lower arm 3 inches down from my elbow just rest it on the bass. might be better to sit down first and try or stand up and raise your bass as long as your arm is resting on somthing it will 2 cents