1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems with Electro-Harmonix deluxe bass Big Muff PI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by St33l, Nov 1, 2017.

1. St33l

St33l

Nov 1, 2017
    Norway
    Hello fellow bassist! I recently started using a sansamp BDDI v2 and a can't get a good fuzz tone with it when using the big muff. Does anyone have any tips? I'm looking for kind of a cliff burton tone, like the one he is using on the For Whom the Bell Tolls intro. Any tips is appreciated!

My effect-chain is: Bass>Polytune 3>Big Muff>Crybaby 105q Bass Wah> Sansamp>Amp.

2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Sell the DBBMP & Crybaby & get yourself a regular (non-bass) Muff & hunt down an old chrome Tel-Ray / Morley PWB Power Wah Boost. Anything less will leave you dissatisfied. Some will tell you Power Wah Fuzz over PWB, I have no experience with it so can't comment, but with a EH nano BMP + Morley PWB I can get that banshee scream just like Cliff.

Also, put wah before fuzz or it won't scream the same.

Although far from perfect, this vid is one of the best out there (& he uses a PWF so there's proof it does the job).

Some other good threads.

Good luck! :bassist:

3. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I disagree. Wah goes after fuzz or its effect is vastly reduced.

4. St33l

St33l

Nov 1, 2017
    Norway
    Hi! thanks for the replies. I have tried to find a Morley (new or used), but they are very rare in my country.

5. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Nah, trust me man, old Morley into trebly muff is auralgasmic! Don't know if it's the Morley supplying a particularly high peak or what but it just doesn't sound the same the other way around. Remember, we're going for banshee scream, not polite funk! :thumbsup:

6. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Yeah, I know.

When I've run Morley wah into fuzz, the effect of the wah has always been really subdued by it. Whereas the wah after the fuzz is extremely aggressive.

7. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Are you using the "three knobs and a switch" Bass Big Muff, or the Deluxe? I found the smaller one a tragic failure but the deluxe one is endlessly usable. I'm not one for precision fuzz however and opted for the Russian Muff, whose bass response is second to none (I find it better than the bass muff).

tl;dr: Try a different muff; for Burton probably the Deluxe Bass Muff.

8. St33l

St33l

Nov 1, 2017
    Norway
    It's the Deluxe Bass Muff i'm using. Do you have any tips for settings?