Problems with Elixirs?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassworship1, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I bought a new Ibanez BTB 1405 bass that come with Elixirs installed on them. Problem is after only a couple plays on this bass the strings started peeling badly mainly on the bridge arena. Is this common for these strings? I love the feel and sound but that's not good if it happens only after 2 or 3 plays.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    (They are probably the older style Elixirs that had the fraying issues. Unless it was a newly purchased "New Formula" set they are going to have that issue).

3. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Well it came on a new BTB 1405 that came from Guitar Centers warehouse. How long it was in the storage I don't know. I haven't played these a couple times. The feel and sound are great I just hate the look of the peeling.

4. Pick or fingers? When I use a pick (especially my steel pick, but another story!) mine seem to peel a lot easier/quicker than when I'm predominantly playing with fingers.

5. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I use strictly finger playing. No slap or anything.

6. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm assuming we are talking about the "premium" 1405E, in which case it would be strung with the newer revision of elixirs that shouldn't have peeling issues. (they re-did the forumula, which are called "nanowebs" approximately two or three years ago.) I haven't personally had peeling isssues, since switching from the old polywebs (they haven't made the bass polywebs for awhile), to the newer nanowebs.

If I were you, I would contact Elixir and ask about getting a replacement set.

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Yes, the coating peels off over the course of weeks or months, depending on how often you play them. It's not unusual at all, and there's no way to avoid it.

8. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    It's the new 1405e I've had a month and it's done it since the first week I had it. I will contact them and see what they say.

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    No issues with my Nanowebs.

Alik likes this.
  10. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    You don't know what generation Elixirs they used, but if they are fraying like this, it is the older ones, not the current Elixir model.

11. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Well I talked to Customer service and asked them if these strings peel the coating after only about 3 uses and they said yes. I doubt I buy any more of the Elixir strings if that's what they expect out of them.

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The short quick explanation I gave must not have worked so I will write the long one.

Elixir has recently improved their coating design to not fray as you are describing. The original Web coating would fray like this after use. This is what makes me feel the strings you have are the older style Elixir strings from about a year ago. The new "improved" Elixir strings do not do this.

The part numbers of the strings are the same so unless you can find out the actual production date of the strings you will never know.

The current Elixir strings again do not fray like that, those are the older design strings and no longer available. Howver, some dealers may have them if their inventory is not current.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What he said.

Basically, just go to Bass Strings Online and order a fresh set. They won't peel like that.

14. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I've been playing Elixirs for years and never had a set fray like that after just a couple of hours of use...Yes, i've had them fray...But never in that short of a time..

15. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    ^This. First, this man knows his strings. I would take his word on strings before anyone else. Second I have first hand experience, the old formula strings did this. Somehow you got an old set of Elixirs. If you like the tone and feel by a new set. The new coating lasts a lot longer. I've had a set for a few months now and they still look brand new.

16. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I know he knows his strings but the point I was making is when You buy a brand new 1500.00 bass and the strings are New Elixirs whether old stock or not the shouldn't do that after only a couple uses. I would have thought that Elixir would have backed them or something. I guess not.

17. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Ibanez has a massive contract with Elixir for stock strings. In situations like that the contract usually spells out that QC issues a like this are not to be the responsibility of the suppler unless the manufacturer sees X amount as defective during manufacturing. I work with a company that has a lot of contracts like this. So when a handful of users call with a complaint about that particular part they usually brush it off. I've seen a lot of string makers own up and send replacement sets but there not required to. You may want to go to Ibanez with your issue as its technically a Ibanez stock part.

Getting bum strings on a brand new bass that's not of Squier quality is pretty bunk. They do sound exactly like the old formula and my guess is you got one of the few packs of old sets they still had in they're store of strings. IMO Ibanez should replace it as a "My bad, didn't know we still had old ones left."

Also, the serial number of the bass will tell you its month and year of manufacture. Just a fun fact for you if you want to see how long it sat before being sold.

18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    you are the only one who can notice theyre peeling no one else can see from that far but if it really bothers you use nail clippers trim them i want a btb

19. I've found after using Elixir Nanos (with a pick) that they will start peeling in a short time (like any other coated strings), but it doesn't seem to change the tone in any manner. They will still last nearly twice as long as non-coated strings, and maintain their sound. I think some people here are getting peeling mixed up with fraying.

20. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Elixir usually puts a brand name "badge" in the package with Ibanez basses. As far as I'm concerned, that means they are saying the strings on that bass represent their product to the fullest. It's not a case where the strings are generally known to be elixirs, but not branded. And yeah, since they seem to not care too much, based on their response, well that's not exactly a confidence building response. I'd contact Ibanez, show them the correspondence, and ask for a different string set. But in the future, I may not be buying elixirs anymore. I've bought two ibanez basses that came strung with elixirs and have since purchased a few sets of elixirs.

Also, polyweb bass strings have not been in production for a long time. As I mentioned, nanoweb strings came out two or three years ago. I highly doubt Ibanez is still stringing polywebs on their basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021