Problems with Elixirs?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassworship1, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Well, I don't use a pick. The polywebs used to "shed" hair like fibers, even with fingerstyle. I've had no such problems with nanowebs. It's pretty concerning that elixir is taking the 'hands-off' approach to the OP's problem. Nanowebs are not supposed to peel/fray/shed/etc, with fingerstyle playing. I can't believe they'd leave a customer hanging like that.

2. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I was unaware that they left a brand with new instruments. I've only bought one Ibanez new and it did not come with a case, and come to think of it I'm not sure if it even came with Allen keys. I knew it was strung with Elixirs simply because that was what I had on one of my other basses at the time.

3. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    here's a picture that shows what one such elixir "badge" looks like (this is not my own picture):
    44CC7CCF-364D-4680-81B0-D1F365E732D8-9545-00000696BAD4D67C.jpg

some people call this type of stuff "case candy".

Both Ibanez basses I have purchased came with a similar item from elixir.

If I remember correctly, was located in the box, near the headstock (no case. One of those carboard boxes with styrofoam setup kind of like a case). Possibly even "hanging" from the tuning keys.

*in this video, a guy is unboxing a "premium" Ibanez RG guitar. It came with a Daddario XL "badge":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiYYG_oLYlI

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Do you know the production date of your instrument?

5. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I actually got to talk to someone on the phone instead of emailing and they are sending me out a new set in the mail. Makes me glad because I purchase a lot of strings. I bought the bass less than a month ago but I haven't looked up the serial to see how long it's been setting in the warehouse. I need to do that.

6. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
  7. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Everything said about the newer strings VS the older ones is correct. I've played mainly Elixirs the last 10 years and they did used to fray, which I actually thought was just fuzzies from my case or something. The newer formula doesn't do this and doesn't even feel coated to begin with.

Regardless of how long the bass was sitting, they could have just got the bass and put an older set of strings on them that was there. Anyway, glad you got it worked out. I have also had nothing but good experience dealing with Elixir directly about some other unrelated issues.

8. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Aug 3, 2012
    In my case(Ibanez SR705 stock Elixir) the strings start to loose the coating in the first 2 weeks of playing,only with fingers.Only the B and E strings.Is mine polyweb or nanowebs ? th_DSC_0019_zps62e1f8d4.jpg

9. I've been playhing Elixirs for quite a few years now. I've never had the slightest problem with them, and certainly no 'peeling'.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021