1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problems with EMGs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Prataz, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Prataz

Prataz

Mar 28, 2005
    Hi fellow TBers,

I have a problem with my EMGs. Actually, I'm not sure if it's the problem with the EMGs.

I am currently using the following:

Yamaha RBX270L with EMG P+J and BTC
    which is linked to the following:

Korg DT-10
    Hartke Bass Attack DI

When I connect my setup to an Ampeg B115, it sounds good but after awhile, there's a volume drop

When i use the Hartke Bass Attack to link to a P.A system, it didn't sound soon.

So I'm trying to I.D the problem of my signal chain. Is my EMG too hot? Frying the Hartke Bass Attack and the Ampeg?

Or I should get another battery to 18V so that there's more headroom

Thanx! =)

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I somehow doubt that a pickup could fry a amp....but i may be wrong here

3. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I'm not sure what you are saying... but I use EMGs. Have had them in my basses for about 15 years. Never had an issue with them. Are your batteries fresh? If your sound starts to fade, it sounds like the battery is dying.

You can go to 18 volts. That's what I do. They sound slightly compressed on 9 V. 18 V isn't any louder, just less compressed.

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    The easiest way to locate the problem is by the process of elimination.
    Change one thing at a time and see if the problem goes away.
    You may start with changing the battery in the bass. Then you may try with a different bass. Then there are other things you could try - try to leave out the DI and connect directly to the Ampeg amp, and see if that helps.
    Is the DI battery powered? If so, I'd try changing the battery in it.
    Does the volume drop if both amp and PA is connected?

&c.

5. Prataz

Prataz

Mar 28, 2005
    Hi guys, thanx for the reply.

I manage to get a better tone and less problems by not using my Hartke Bass Attack. It seems that it's not compatible with my current bass setup.

Therefore, I would like to ask fellow TBers, what kind of external preamp DI like MXR Bass DI or Sansamp is a suitable combination with a bass loaded with EMGs

Thanx =)

6. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Ever play an old BC Rich? The ones w/ the custom super-hot DiMarzios & intimidating-looking preamp? That thing overloaded the input of every amp I plugged into.