problems with humidity! I need help dan from GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, Aug 24, 2003.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I bought a GK 700RB a couple of months ago.

I love the amp. It was meant for me!

However the second time now at my church I've gone in and I've gotten bizzare muffle and crackle. This isn't hurting my speakers is it? From what I've noticed it has only happened when it is hummid.
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    please explain more. is it loud or soft? how long does it crackle? does it crackle only when turning a knob on your guitar or the amp? please be more specific.
  3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    it crackles as soon as you turn it on. it gets a little (little being the key word) louder if you turn up the volume, boost, woofer or tweeter. But not much. If you start to shape through the EQ it sounds as though you're shaping the muffle and crackle.

If you hit the mute button the sound is still there coming throught the speakers.

It's a very loud crackle but after leaving it on for a couple of minutes it slowly fades away.
  4. I have 700RB 210 combo. When you turn the amp on and off, the woofers push in and out, making a loud noise. I read somewhere that in order prevent damage to your speakers, you should have the master volume turned off when you turn the amp on and off. So you might want to try that.

Also, when I turn the master pasted 12:00, I get an odd crackling noise. I don't think this harms the speakers though.

5. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    If you have crackling past 12:00 or if you have unnatural intermittant noise, you have a problem.

I have a 700RB/112 combo that had pre-amp trouble.

I re-soldered two or three solder joints where the pots meet the pre-amp board and my problem was fixed.

Take it to a tech and have it checked out.

(By the way, I love the amp.)
  6. It's no big deal. It just crackles when I turn the knob, not when I play. So it's not really serious enough to take it to tech. Besides, I'm tired off carrying it around anyway (it's a hefty combo), and will be getting a new amp soon (QSC poweramp). (They say it's 78 pounds, but it feels more like 100.)

But thanks anyway,

(I like the sound of mine a lot also -- it can pretty freakin' loud too!)
  7. More than likely you have some bad pots. Is it under warranty? (less than two years old) if so, take it to one of our authorized shops. I'd like to have the preamp board replaced. We've added bracing to it to make it more sturdy.
  8. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    just bought it not even 2 months ago. I'll get it checked out. Just checked out the GK website nice job Dan.
  9. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I stress again this only happens when it's really humid.
  10. thanks. Glad you liked it, but all I did was coordinate it. The actual work was done by Boyles Design. We're going to be doing some extensive redesigning of the site with lots of useful features over the next few months.
  11. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    how sure are you that it is bad pots? Should this not happen even with extreme amounts of humidity?