Problems with Jazz Bass in Warranty

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, May 31, 2005.

1. hi guys, I need your advice on something...

So, 6 months ago, I decided to buy a Brand new Fender Jazz Bass Classic 60's from a local musicstore.

Its been just fine up until recently that is...

It started buzzing all over, between the 3rd and 9th fret, all strings.
    kindof suddenly.
    now, without even needing to look at it, I know that the neck is bending backwards. this is bad.
    Now, it COULD be from the change in temperature recently, but the thing is that once the wood starts warping, it will have a tendency to keep doing that, eventually killing my fretboard entirely.

Now, Im about to go up to the store and ask for a new bass. I think Im entitled to it, since its still in warranty.

What would you guys do in my position?

would you settle for a free setup at the store? thinking that this problem might reocur?
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    It sounds like you simply need a neck adjustment. That's what happens when the weather changes. Do a searc on setup or neck adjustment here, and do it yourself - it's easy. If it were a warped neck or something real wrong (which it sounds like it isn't) I doubt they'll simply swap the guitar. It would get sent back to Fender and they'd have to assess it.
  3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Joe's right. Look into a setup before panicking.

If that don't do it, give 'em heck.

4. I might be overrecting A LITTLE... but that is my BABY... lol. I took it to the store, and they said not to worry that its just because of the change in temperature, and that with a setup it'll be as new.
  5. Wood gets funny with that whole seasonal change... pay the tech an extra 10 bucks to let you watch him adjust it...then you can do yer own.