Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with my amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Feb 21, 2005.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    The other day, after hooking up my new tuner, I started getting some pretty annoying radio interference with my amp. The way I have it set up is like this:

bass->tuner->amp->cab or bass->wireless->tuner->amp->cab

I never had these problems before I started using the tuner. All the cables I use are shielded, and when I run through my wireless, the noise seems to be softer. Could this be only a problem when I have my amp set up in my basement? Please give me any ideas on how to cure this, because I have a gig Friday, and I really don't want this to be a problem there. Thanks and God bless. -Brad

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'll guess that your tuner is prone to picking up radio interference.
    does your amp have a tuner out jack?
    if not, does it have an effects send jack and are you not using the effects loop?
    or doesn it have a line out jack you're not using?
    the idea is if the tuner is picking up radio junk, you'll want it out of your signal path. to do this without having to unplug from the amp every time you want to tune, you'll have to run a line to the tuner from the amp's tuner out or another output like an effects send or lineout.

now, you're probably going to say "i dont want to do that becase i want to be able to mute the amp with the mute button on the tuner when i'm tuning". and i'll say "sorry, but it looks like your tuner isnt as quiet as the advertising hype said it would be" :meh:

or, if you're lucky your basement has much more radio signals than the rest of the world.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Brad, I agree with IvanMike, look for a "tuner out" jack on your amp. Running the tunerr "inline" through your audio path is just asking for trouble.

If you don't have a "tuner out" jack on your amp, there are several ways to go. One is, you can create a poor man's "line out" from your speaker (cab), with just a couple of resistors and about sixty seconds with a soldering iron.

Another way is, if you have an "effects send" on your amp, you can use that to feed the tuner. Sometimes, that jack will disconnect your preamp (although usually it's the effects "return" that does that), but if that happens, try pulling out the plug halfway, sometimes if you position it just right you can tap the signal without disconnecting the pre.

And finally, there's always the old "splitter box", if you're willing to spend a hundred bucks or so. :)

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, I have a tuner out, so it looks like I'll be using that from now on. It does suck that I can't use my mute though, and it also sucks having problems with a tuner I paid so much for. It's a Sabine RT-7000. I guess I'll be going with Korg in the near future.