Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problems with my Ashdown head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlacktotheBlind, Nov 17, 2005.

1. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I bought the MAG 300R from Music123.com and the first one they sent had a damaged power switch. They sent a replacement head and 6 months later it's acting up on me.

While playing the sound will crackle and then fade out. The amp stays on, and the VU meter still acts like it's getting a signal from the bass. I know it's not the cab because I test it each time after this happens with a cheaper head and it is fine. Sometimes this problem is resolved just by flicking the on/off switch quickly, sometimes it doesn't resolve itself until the next day. I know it's not an energy problem because I had this problem before I moved and I also tested it on it's own outlet with everything else in the room unplugged. Sometime's I can go days or even weeks without the problem but it still springs up every now and then. I'm glad I'm not a gigging musician right now with this head being as unreliable as it is, but I have my Rick Tuxedo coming in next week so I hope it doesn't permanently crap out on me :rollno:

2. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Sounds like a similar problem that occasionally plagues GK's. The same scenario was happening to an old GK400 I had. Took it to a guy who resoldered the circuit board joints and it was good as new. At 6 months yours should still be under warranty (shouldn't it). Have a local Ash warranty repair shop look at it...if you really like the head, it might be worth it to have a human look at it rather than try to exchange it for ANOTHER brand new one, only to have the problem reoccur later. Is this head made in China by chance?