problems with my Ashdown head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlacktotheBlind, Nov 17, 2005.

1. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    I bought the MAG 300R from and the first one they sent had a damaged power switch. They sent a replacement head and 6 months later it's acting up on me.

While playing the sound will crackle and then fade out. The amp stays on, and the VU meter still acts like it's getting a signal from the bass. I know it's not the cab because I test it each time after this happens with a cheaper head and it is fine. Sometimes this problem is resolved just by flicking the on/off switch quickly, sometimes it doesn't resolve itself until the next day. I know it's not an energy problem because I had this problem before I moved and I also tested it on it's own outlet with everything else in the room unplugged. Sometime's I can go days or even weeks without the problem but it still springs up every now and then. I'm glad I'm not a gigging musician right now with this head being as unreliable as it is, but I have my Rick Tuxedo coming in next week so I hope it doesn't permanently crap out on me :rollno:
  2. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Sounds like a similar problem that occasionally plagues GK's. The same scenario was happening to an old GK400 I had. Took it to a guy who resoldered the circuit board joints and it was good as new. At 6 months yours should still be under warranty (shouldn't it). Have a local Ash warranty repair shop look at it...if you really like the head, it might be worth it to have a human look at it rather than try to exchange it for ANOTHER brand new one, only to have the problem reoccur later. Is this head made in China by chance?