1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems with my Audere

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JahNissi, Jul 18, 2007.

1. JahNissi

JahNissi

May 24, 2006
    Illinois
    I bought an Audere preamp (JZ3 model) about 5 months ago and I LOVE it! However, it had been acting strange lately so I took it out and I noticed that the white wire that connects to the cap for the battery had come out.

It's weird because I haven't been able to play for a while so I haven't even really touched the bass since before it was working perfectly.

Is there anyway I can put it back in or is this something that I am going to have to send back to Audere to fix? Do you think that falls under the warranty?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I'd email Dave just to do it but battery clips are a common problem. I'm guessing Dave will just tell you to replace the old clip.

Of all places Radio Shack actually has had my favs to date and I've never had a problem with one. The worst are those cheesie grey fiber ones.

3. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    So, I am searching on here because of a similar issue with the wires to my jack and battery clip have come out of my Audere preamp as well. Anyone have any success with fixing these through Audere out of warranty?
    Suggestions welcome!

4. Perhaps posting a nice clear photo of the problem will help...

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Is this a jack-on-plate or side-mount? I want to post a photo of what it's supposed to look like.

Riis

6. etherealme

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    The wires are completely separated from the preamp solder points. They are three that run to the switchcraft style jack and the battery clip. Now, I know where they go back in but the board has such small points to solder that I cannot do it myself. Plus, I am already worried about overheating the board with such tiny tolerances in space.

Mine is the Audere PRO/Z with the jack on plate. Apparently the wires worked their way loose from continually rubbing against the wall of the body.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Warranty or not, I'd contact Audere for guidance and possibly a ship-for-repair. Let us know what you find out!

Riis

etherealme likes this.
  8. If you know anyone with good soldering skills, it should be fixable. Perhaps you know someone who works with digital electronics? It is even possible to hand solder surface mount parts, with a sharp iron tip, a steady hand, and a good magnifier...

I'd also seek a good tech to reinstall it, so the problem doesn't happen again.

9. etherealme

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    Well, I have good soldering skills but have you looked at the audere preamp tolerances in space? Really the main issue to be precise is that the wires did not come all of the way free of the solder point holes but instead left remaining wires within. This is an obstruction which is creating an impasse to just reconnecting the wires.
    I did receive a positive response from David at Audere about getting the preamp serviced at a small cost. I will let you all know how smoothly that process goes in the coming weeks.

10. Yeah this will always happen when a flying lead breaks away from a circuit board.

You need to heat it from one side, and use a desolder pump from the other to suck out the tiny strands and clear the eyelet.

(Works on fender style pickup bobbins as well.)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018