Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with my Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ((ZASDER)), Feb 26, 2005.

1. ((ZASDER))

((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    Im new to the whole music thing...

I just recently about 2 months ago bought a Fender P bass and got a setup because the neck I guess was bent.

But now when ever I play the bridge loosens by itself..like the screws that hold the oval thing which holds the strings up unscrew themselves and the strings fall down and its nothing but aweful noise when I play.

Do I need a new bridge or are my screws just worn?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sounds like your "thread" may be stripped, inside the body where the bridge is attached. That's usually fixable with some special glue, but I'd recommend taking your instrument to a good tech (as distinct from trying to fix it yourself). I've had some good luck with Gorilla Glue in that regard, it hardens "rock hard", but the downside is, that once it hardens, there's almost no way to get it out (so if you ever want to replace the bridge, or adjust its position, you might find it very difficult). A good luthier/tech can probably recommend something that'll work. Good luck!

3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Do you mean the screws that hold up the saddles? If it is those.. you could get new saddles/screws...or maybe even just some threadlock. If it is brdge screws pulling out of the wood itself, there are a couple ways to go, nothing too serious imho...

4. ((ZASDER))

((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    No the bridge is fine

THe saddles (what you said) which hold the strings up...

those 8 lil screws that holds the saddles up keep unscrewing and the saddles touch the bottom of the bridge

[​IMG]

5. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    yeah, just drop by "Home Depot Muscial Instrument Supply" or an autoparts place... should have the stuff there... just unscrew the little buggers put a drop on each and put them back and you should be good to go!

6. ((ZASDER))

((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    Thanks alot guys...Thanks for the quick reply also :cool: