Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with my Cirrus 4 (wood separation)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Im a sock, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi, I've had my Cirrus 4 since 1998 and it's been great since then. I brought it in to my local repair guy (who's been very good in the past) to get the frets dressed. When I went to pick it up today the very first thing I noticed when I pulled it out of the case was something that felt like a scratch on the back on the neck.

Upon closer inspection by myself and the repair guy, it seems like the maple and the wenge (it is wenge, right?) is separating. I can feel it between the 1st and 6th frets. The repair guy said it was probably due to temp/humidity changes, but if he wanted me to fix it, he could. He also said it was a minor problem, and it might go away on its own. I also absolutly know for sure that it wasnt there when I dropped the bass off last week.

Is this a minor problem? As far as I can remember the weather hasnt changed too drastically here in the past week. Should I call Peavey about this? Can they do anything?

Thanks for your help. This is the first time I've ever encountered a problem like this and I'm really worried.

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Give Peavey a call. From what I've heard here on TB, Peavey has excellent customer support.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's NOT a minor problem because it's bothering the hell out of you and Peaveys are reknowned as solid gear.

My advice is to go to the Peavey website and either contact Hartley Peavey personally, (he's that kind of guy), or their customer service and tell them what's going on.

Bottomline - this shouldn't happen if you haven't really abused the bass.

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've done a couple posts about Peavey's great customer support before. I had a similar situation with my Claro Walnut Cirrus fretless 6 string. It developed a split in the neck near the first fret. I contacted their customer support and they said ship it back to them. They examined the bass and proceeded to build me a BRAND NEW ONE! I actually had it in hand about 3 weeks after I sent in the one with the problem. Not only did they totally replace the instrument but they hand picked the best top they had in stock and put it in the front of their production line.
    I'm a firm believer in Peavey's customer support!
    Here's the proof!

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Was your Cirrus still under warranty?

6. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Yep, I've had nothing but good experiences with peavey....

I've had a Dyna-Bass Unity series limited edition bass for 14 years now, never had any trouble with it...

It is a neck though body with active pickups and has some beutiful flamed maple wings... I've actually been thinking about replacing the pick-ups but I don't know if there will be a compatability problem with the pre-amp...

7. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    My Cirrus was still under warranty. However, Steve at Peavey (guitar service) told me on the phone that if there were a manufacturing defect, that they would replace it even if it weren't.
    That's customer service!
    Hope everything works out for you.

8. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    It sounds like the repair guy dropped it.

9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I've thought about that, but he's been doing service for me for years and years, and he's never givin me any reason to distrust him. I asked him what he knew about it and he said it was probably the weather. We'll see what Peavey says tommorrow morning.

As always, I'll keep you all posted.

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have no doubt that Peavey will be quick to help you out Sock. I ahve never seen anyone coem away anythign but extremely happy after dealign with peavey with a gear problem. I've seen at least 3 people get new Cirrus's built because of cracks in the body.

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    WOW, MjMorgan, that is a beautiful walnut top.

12. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Yeah, they did a great job picking that one out!
    The photos don't do it justice. Here's another shot of both my Cirri.

13. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003

Hi By-Tor,

There's a technical name for this, I can't remember it exactly but I'll call it "differential contraction", and I've seen it on other basses.

It happens in laminated necks, usually when the laminates are different species. Over time, as the neck laminates continue to lose moisture, or if the bass is subject to changes in humidity, one laminate may dry more quickly than another, leaving a discernable "cliff" where the surface of the taller and shorter laminates meet. It's not actually a crack, its that one of your neck laminates is a little larger than the other ones until the moisture content goes back to normal. Usually, you can only feel it at one spot along the laminate line, since wood is inconsistent along its length and may swell at much different rates.

I had this happen in a warwick with a three piece wenge neck, and was sure that I was doomed. Then I read an article on a luthiery web site, put the bass in its bag with a dehumidifier for a while, and after a week or so, no more ridge.