1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problems with my DiMarzio Ultra Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stkittsmusic, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Hey guys

Just put together this beautiful 4 string jazz, and went with the Ultra jazzes because they sound great, and on the bass body I have, there's no route for the ground to the bridge (pretty weird), so obviously I needed some humbuckers. The problem is after I installed them, there's still a wicked hum when I have the treble all the way up. And I'm not talking like small, I'm just in my room hum, I mean like NOTICABLE hum lol. What I noticed from there is that when I touched the control plate, the buzz stopped. So my natural assumption would be "oh it need to be grounded", but I got the p-ups so that I wouldn't have to do that?? I just need some help haha the bass sounds great but I'm spinning my wheels trying to make that hum stop.

Thanks guys

Alex

2. Look I do not know your prowess on eltronics or anything but.... My Ultra Jazz set are fine no hum . Maybe you should take em to a luthier of ur choosing after all it is their M.O.S. (modus operandi etc... ). I am just saying it's thier job. Let them figure it out that type of problem shouldn't be expensive at all to fix. I have the D149 set they are active and I am rocking them w an ACG/John East preamp they sound stellar. I am sorry to hear about your prediciment w the pickups but I would think it could be fixed.

Lanis

3. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    My DP149s kick a** with a nordstrand active/passive preamp.. No hum. But I do have my routs shielded, and a ground under my bridge

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    What your a missing is that there are TWO kinds of hum. There is electric hum which is cured by shielding (grounded copper foil lining the cavities etc.) and there is magnetic hum (cured by installing hum-cancelling pickups rather than single-coils like a Jazz)

The key is that shielding hum is the hum that goes away when you touch ground. That's a sure sign that your bass needs shielding or needs the shielding is has grounded better.

With Dimarzio J's should have NO single coil hum (magnetic) and if you did, as with a standard jazz bass that kind of hum goes away when both the bridge and neck pickups are turned on full.

In your case, you need to go on line and look up all the blogs on shielding. There are lots of instructions. Just remember to ground the new shielding to the control plate (or jack body).

5. perfect, I will do that right now! Thanks!

6. Well people, checked out every forum and internet shielding tutorial, and yesterday I shielded my first bass ever. And did it work? Yup. Bass is pretty much dead silent now. And it was super easy. Thanks to all you TB'ers for your help and input. Cheers!

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Ultrajazz pickups are humbuckers.

You are likely hearing electrical field noise buzzing. You need the bridge grounded. Just get a long drill and drill from under the bridge to the control cavity and install a ground wire.

Humbuckers do not eliminate that type of high frequency buzz, only shielding does. Grounding your strings uses your body like a shield.

8. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Do this! Even if your hum stopped, do this! The bridge/strings definitely needs to be grounded.