Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with my E string...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rayzak, Dec 9, 2001.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I just got a new Stingray and don't know a whole lot about set-up. I love the way the action is set, but when I fret anywhere on the E string, the note dies so fast. It doesn't ring out for a long time at all. When I hit the open E it's fine, but when I fret anywhere, it dies so fast. I don't have this problem on my MIM Jazz and it's bugging the hell out of me. Thanks.

2. Is it a new set of strings?? I found if i kept the "factory" strings on there from when i bought the bass, they aren't of high quality (money saver) and they do go dead quickly.

:D:D

Merls

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Merl, they're the factory strings (Ernie Ball Slinky's, I think). But they sound good. Like I said, when I hit the open E, I don't have a problem at all. Thanks for your reply and maybe you are right, but i'd be surprised.

4. random question.. do Stingrays have the bridge mutes on them anymore? If so, might it be that the E string mute is just a tad too high, and when you fret it (dropping the string maybe 1mm or less) its touching it? Like I said, its pretty random, and certainly a shot in the dark.

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    No more string mutes my man. Keep your thoughts coming though. thanks.

6. Personally i think the ray is all about funky tones, and to get some funky stuff going quick decay is key.......

7. Does it happen no matter where you fret the E string?

And it doesnt happen on any other string right?

:confused:

8. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, no matter where I fret on the E string it happens. It does not happen on the other strings.:confused:

9. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    could be a defective string try another set;)

10. It doesn't sound like a defective string if it sounds fine when its not fretted... Hmmmmm fretting the string lowering it ever so slightly so that if you play it at normal attack then it gets too close to the pickup and gets its sustain sucked out of it by the magnetic field of the pickup? Which could be fixed by maybe making sure that the pickup is level... I dunno, i'm throwing out ideas, I noticed that on my jazz bass when I adjusted the pickups (they weren't quite level) that the G string would sound really strange and die off quicker then it used to, and then I depressed the pickup and played G again and it was fine.

?????

:confused:

11. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    try adjusting the pickups then

12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey all, I thought i'd let you know that I just installed a new set of Super Slinky's on my Ray and it did the trick. I'm really surprized and relieved that that's all it took to cure my problem. Thanks for the input guys.

13. Hmm thats pretty odd :) Oh well, I'll store that one away in the old memory banks incase it comes up again.. ;)

14. You can get a refund for the string if you write to Ernie Ball or see the local dealer and complain about the defective string. THeyll either give you a new E, or they will give you a new set. If you really want to, try it.