Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problems with my electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 87octane_, Mar 26, 2003.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I've just finished putting together a bass I've been working on for a while, and now I think there's something wrong with the electronics. I've got a Carvin active/passive bass module, a Carvin HB5 at the bridge and a Carvin stacked humbucker at the neck. The main volume knob supposedly pulls up to turn on the active module, while pushing it down puts it into passive mode. However, it only produces sound when the active mode is turned on, the active mode plays without the battery in, the bass is extremely quiet when I plug into the active input on my ampeg, and none of the EQ knobs seem to affect the tone at all. Anyone know what's going on here?

2. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I am no electronics expert, but it sounds like the opposite is happening. It sounds like you have only passive mode. That would explain why the knobs have no effect on your tone. I would check to make sure the battery leads are connected correctly. :bassist:

3. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    See, that's what I was thinking, which raises the question: why is it going into passive mode when it should theoretically be in active mode?

4. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Depending on how the circuit is set up since it seems like you are not getting any juice, it may work in passive mode with or without a battery, and that would explain why it is doing that. I would try to find out why you are not getting any juice.

5. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    It's all good now. The positive and negative wires to the battery were crossed, and one of my pickups wasn't grounded properly. As for why it only worked when the knob was up, I was mixed up and thought pulling it up gave it an active boost, but the up position was for passive. Everything's in working order now, though. Thanks.

6. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Thats cool glad to hear it.