Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problems with my mesa walkabout and swr workingman's series 4x10T cab!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by walk the line, Aug 21, 2005.

1. :help: hey there,

ive recently gone up a notch in terms of bass gear but im seriously starting to regret purchasing this new gear - bare with me if i ask stupid questions as im new to this site. ive read some of the threads in regards to my new gear and have already learnt a few things.

problem - im getting a horrible distorted sound no matter what i do with my eq. the manual said i could get a good sound just from the standard eq on the mesa walkabout and i wouldnt have to worry about using the extra eq's until i became a little more familiar with the amp. sorry if my bass talk terms are not clear but ...im not clear myself! the sound is no where near what i wanted yet i thought it was when i purchased it - the power is there but it doesnt sound like my cab is handeling it. my cab is 8ohms( swr workingman's series 4x10t @ 8ohms) and the mesa walkabout has 4ohms suggested written on the back...could this be part of my problem? i cant fully understand all the stuff about ohms hence needing help! the guitar i use is an ibanez sgr300 bought new a year ago. all i want is a clean and warm bass sound that i know i can get with this amp! if anyone can help me i'd be greatly apreciative! thanks :(

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What settings are you using on your Gain and Master? Try setting your Gain as low as possible (anything under about 10 o'clock should be fine) and use the Master for your volume control. You can control the amount of tube overdrive from these two controls. With the Gain up high (and the Master hopefully backed off!), you can get what I think is a nice overdriven tone, but with the Gain down low, it should be pretty clean sounding. If not, you may have a bad tube or more serious technical difficulties.

Hope this helps, Tom.

3. thanks Tom - just tried what you suggested...ive still got that horrible sound. looks like ive got to sort this out with the shop..for the third time. ive tried everything to get a standard sound and nothing will get rid of the popping distorted sound - i told the shop i bought it from it wasnt giving me the sound i originally thought it had but because they knew i wasnt experienced in terms of bass gear they said i had to sit down for hours trying to get the sound i want...so off i went to do just that ..again. surely a nice standard sound would've come may way by now! (1mth) . just want to play my bass through gear i paid so much for and enjoy it. was the ohms an issue with my gear?

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi, I had a problem with my WalkAbout when I got it too. Sometimes the jacks on the effects loop can get weird on you. If you'll plug a regular 1/4" guitar cable into the send and return of the effects loop, it will bypass the occasionally faulty switch in there.

Alan

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Also, try turning the 3-position tweeter switch to "off" on your WM410t cab. IME, the SWR Workingman's tweeters are pretty harsh, so turning it off might help...

6. thanks guys for the feedback, really appreciate it. i headed to the shop today and went over some issues with the guys down there. replaced my strings and had the action dealt to. had to alter my style a little as i was hitting the strings to far down toward the neck which was given me more of a slap sound . also tried the swr goliath cab they had which was a 4ohm cab i wanted to try - there was a difference but not huge. they said that i could replace my existing cab with this goliath cab without losing any cash - as i had only used it a few times in practice since purchasing it.just have to pay the difference which i think i might do....a few extra hundred for a little more power sold me! think ive gotten to the bottom of my issues...i hope. thanks again for your feedback guys - this is a great site! cheers

7. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I've not had a single problem with my Walkabout...it's amazing. But at what time was the recall made on them?

8. im not sure - the shop said my amp was fine so it should be fine when i get to play through the goliath. my guitar wasnt in the best shape so that had a part to play , guess when ive played through the new cab i'll know if my problems have been sorted.