Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with my new bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 21, 2001.

1. I finally got my Ibanez BTB1005 setup like I like. There is however one problem I have run into. The 16th fret on the D string is dead. It appears the string touches the 17th fret when fretted at the 16th, and it just makes a loud "BOINK" sound when you hit it.

I have the action set where I like it so I am unwilling to adjust it. I called Guitar Center and they said they will take a look at it. Should I exchange it for a new one or let them see if they can do a fret job on it? I still have a couple of weeks to exchange it if necessary.

Thanks.

2. just a high fret at thr 17th, not a big deal at all, they can fix it in a second or so

3. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    It might be a high fret as tallguybcs said or it might be your string height. Dont worry about it changing your string height, but you might raise your d string a LITTLE bit and it will fix it. My Jazz Bass had the same prob when I bought it, because GC doesn't set anything up when they get it. I'd try that before spending any money.

4. It was a high fret problem. I took it back to have the Guitar Center fix it and they said they would just order me a new one. I hope the new one has the same quality of flame maple as the other.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's the problem with these big chains. A minor problem like a high fret & they're gonna replace it. I hope the new one you get plays as nice as the one you're giving back. It's a shame that these multi million dollar corps don't have a qualified guitar tech on premises. :( It'll take a good tech less than 10 min to fix that problem.