Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with my Peavey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robnation, Mar 13, 2002.

1. robnation

robnation

Mar 13, 2002
    NH
    Hello all,
    I've been playing bass for about a year now, and was playing guitar for about 2 years before that. I've been having some problems with my Peavey Basic 40 Amp. It's been playing fine at low levels but when I turn it up(at practice and gigs) I get this fuzzy crackling sound. It's a real pain. As a temporary fix(like a few mintues) I can hit the top of it and it sounds allright for a little. It seems worse when I'm plugged into low gain rather than high gain. Any body think they know what's wrong? A friend told me he thought it was the speaker and no the electronics...

Thanks!
    -TJ

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    How loud were you turning it up for gigs? I'm questioning how you would gig with a 40-watt amp...

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Input jack. Either a loose wire or just a dirty jack.

4. robnation

robnation

Mar 13, 2002
    NH
    When i gig with the amp i either mic it our direct line out it. so you think it's the input, even thou when i hit it fixes teh prob for a second? any suggestions on cleaning the inputs? q-tip?

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I used to have a Peavey Basic 50 (traded it for a TNT 115). It did the EXACT same thing that yours is doing. And if I hit the top of it or banged it around a little, it worked great. The problem with mine was a loose wire on one of the jacks.

I can't guarantee that this is the problem with yours, but it is a place to start. Oh, and to clean the jacks, a little rubbing alcohol on a Q tip works fine. Just unplug the amp first, just in case.

Also check to make sure you don't have a loose speaker wire. That could also be causing the problem.

6. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I had the same awesome little amp for about 12 years and I never had any problems with it.

I am almost certain you have a loose input jack contact.

Chek it out. Open the amp ( take care !) and check for any loose connections. Maybe just use some cleaning spray and clean all the controls of the amp ( where necessary ).

This is the best practice amp I ever seen around.

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I had the same problem with a minx 110. The nut on the outside of the imput jack came loose. Just get a wrench and tighten it. That way you won't have to open up the amp. If that fails then try what everyone else was saying. It definantly sounds like an input jack problem though.