problems with my used fender jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kearney, Jul 9, 2004.

1. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    So i have horrible fret buzzing, and i try to raize the action at the tailpiece, but that isnt helping much, also the nut at the a string is extra wide so if you play the a string open, it buzzes, but i fixed that by putting a peice of rubber between e and a above then nut, any sugggestions?
  2. Where does it buzz, firstly? First frets, last frets, up and down the neck? Also, the A string problem can be cured by making sure the break point at the nut is steep enough. That is to say, wrap the A string more times around the peg so that it goes down after passing the nut.
  3. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    here, i made a tab chart of the range of noticable buzzing

G 2nd fret- 6th fret
    D 3rd fret, 5th fret, 7th fret
    A 3rd fret, 5th fret, 7th fret
    E 2nd fret - 9th fret
  4. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Check the relief in the neck. Press down on the 1st fret (using a capo makes this easier) and press down the last fret on the E string. Measure the distance with feeler gauges or a machinest ruler between the 8th fret and the string. Standard relief is .015
  5. kearney

Jul 5, 2004

uhh what? :eyebrow: :help: :confused: :rollno: :eyebrow:
  6. Basically it seems to be happening in the first frets. Your string heigh isn't the problem, it's the relief. You have to loosen the truss rod a bit by the sounds of it. I'd say you should get it to a luthier and have him set the relief for you if you don't know how to work it.
  7. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Sorry, I was referring to measuring relief in regards to adjusting the trussrod. You have access to the truss rod at the top of the neck by the headstock on MIM fenders. It's that hole up there by the nut. You need to use an allen wrench to turn it. However, if you have never adjusted the truss rod before, read up on it a bit or take it in to have a qualified person work on your bass. You can really mess up your bass if you over tighten the truss rod. The truss rod adjusts the relief in the neck of your bass.

As you tighten the truss rod, the neck becomes straighter, bringing the strings closer to the frets. This can cause the strings to vibrate and rattle if there isn't enough relief.

There is a lot of information here at TB if you do a search in "setup". I would suggest to take it to a tech and have them give it a good setup.
  8. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    i dont know any luthiers (arent they people that make custom basses?)
    i should take it to a music shop then right?
  9. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I agree with fenderjazz. You can try to loosen the truss rod a bit, but you have to be very careful. No more than a quarter turn. If you feel a lot of resistance and can't loosen it, don't force it, take it in. Clockwise tightens, counter clockwise loosens.
  10. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    ill give it a try, i see the end of it,

should i loosen the strings?
  11. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    No, you don't have to. Remember to be very careful! Just a quarter turn counterclockwise and you will feel the difference. Just tune your strings after you adjust the truss rod.
  12. Just remember to put a little tension back on the truss rod, do this by turning the wrench back until you get resistance...only to take up any helps to keep the adjust nut from working looser over time...
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  14. There are three things that you might memorize for reference in the future.

1- If the string(s) buzz on the first 4 or 5 frets, a relief problem is indicated and a truss rod adjustment is in order.

2- If the strings buzz on the last few frets a bridge height adjustment is in order.

3- An open string buzz usually indicates a bad nut if the buzz clears up when you note the first fret.

Bass Setup Manuals