Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with P/U install.... HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lomer, Jul 10, 2005.

1. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    K guys posted around here a couple of weeks ago about how I was gonna put an EMG P Pickup in my Yamaha RBX260 Bass. didnt really have any problems following the instructions for the wiring of the new pickups, pots etc however, when I was disconnecting the old p/u's there was a wire which seemingly is just routed to inside the body somewhere and I didnt know where to put it so I just left it disconnected....

since restringing and testing I find the pickups arent working properly, just wondering If this is some sort of ground wire or something????

2. You guessed it bro, that was the ground wire. Usually leads to the bridge routing, making contact with the bridge to complete the circuits ground.

~Ryan

3. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    which pot would be best to ground it to the volume or the tone????

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    doesn't really matter as long as that pot has a path to ground.

5. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Should ground go to both the bridge and output jack also? My wiring works but I still get zapped at times.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Well then it doesn't work.

-Eric.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    could you describe how you have it grounded, e.g. all to back of one pot, then from pot to jack, or all to jack etc etc

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    EMG's do NOT need the bridge ground. In fact, you should not hook it up. The only ground wires should be from the pickps, to the casings pots (all of them), and to the ground on the jack. Remember also that you must have a stereo jack that will unhook the ground of the battery from the ground of the instrument when it is not plugged in.