1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems with Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Krinkle, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Aug 3, 2004
    I recently aquired a Bubinga/Walnut Peavey Cirrus 5 and I've noticed that I'm not get as much output from the low B as I probably should. Does anyone know what may be causing this? Also, has anyone else had problems with these basses having a weak low B? Any suggestions/comments would help.

2. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    raise the pickups a bit?

3. Since the pickups are not 100% straight It may be a problem to get a solid soundoutput from every string. What you can do is lower your B string and higher the pickups on the side where the B string is located.

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    If it's just the B string try raising that side of the pickups. I haven't played a Cirrus 5 that had a weak B...that said, I have an early US model and over time, the gain from the pickups diminished. Peavey had heard of this...pretty rare, I'm told...and replaced the pickups. All better now.

I would suggest calling Steve Smith at Peavey: 1-877-732-8391, extension 1343...he'll do right by you.

Kim

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That's odd... my old Cirrus never had that problem.

+1 on raising the pickups/lowering the strings, but if all that's not it, I'd call their customer service.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I never had this problem with mine either, or any of the many different Cirrus 5's that I have played. Could it be that you simply have a bad (dead) string on it??

7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    One quick check to help diagnose your problem is to turn the balance control all the way to the front pickup and check volume string to string. Repeat with the bridge pickup. That should tell you if you have a bad pickup. The odds of them both going bad are quite slim. I had a similar problem a while ago where the overall volume of the bass seemed to drop. This in turn made the B string and bottom end seem very anemic. It turned out to be a bad op amp in the preamp. It was replaced and back to normal. And as stated earlier, give Steve Smith a call if you still are having trouble. He was very helpful in solving my problem.

8. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    I had that same problem with my 5 string jazz bass and the problem was with the crappy amp I had

9. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Yeah, my first thought was... what are you running this into? If you've tried another 5-string through the amp with good results, that's one thing. But if you're lacking the watts to push that low frequency... it takes a lot more power to drive the low freq's. So the amp is a possibility (that could be easily eliminated).