Problems with picking hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wushuguy, Sep 10, 2002.

1. wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm just beginning to learn bass. I can't seem to play any string with my index and middle finger without my fingernail striking the string also. I have my nails cut as short as possible, and they still strike the string at any angle I play at. Has anyone else ever had this problem? What can I do to about this?
  2. Cut them as short as you can. I cut all the white off of mine. You also may be attacking the strings too hard, or digging in too much. You don't really have to "Pluck" the string to get a great sound, and a lighter attack will help your speed.

3. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Tried to change your right hand position?
    Besides that, you`re probably plucking too hard.
  4. keep your fingers as staight as possible and plant your thumb on a pickup. My nails are at a regular length and I don't seem to have any trouble. I would also suggest looking at some videos of jaco pastorious and watch his fingers.
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    what if he wants to use the floating thumb technique?
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not good advice. Keeping your fingers straight causes more muscle tension, and is potentially damaging to your hands. Keep your fingers as relaxed and natural as possible.
  7. wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Ok, I think I was just digging in too much. I played lighter with my two fingers, and was able to get it. I had no problem with the second finger, but the first still kept hitting the nail. After a while I got it figured out. I just have to hit the exact angle to make it happen. Thanks for the help everyone.