1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems with recording bass into Cubase SX3

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by marcin_m, Jun 11, 2012.

1. marcin_m

marcin_m

Feb 7, 2009
    London UK
    Hi,

I am trying to record a bass track to already pre-recorded backing track with drums and guitar.

When i record it into Cubase it all looks fine.
    I run the bass of DI in my amp straight into the souncard (ESI MAYA44) i use Studiospares copies of NS-10's and Beyerdynamic DT10's to monitor and i can hear the bass loud and clear in the mix.
    When i export the mixdown and listen to it on the monitors, i can still hear the bass.
    The problem starts when i upload the track to Itunes and try to listen to it on my Iphone or home stereo, i can not hear the bass at all.

I don't think it has anything to do with setting up the levels to low, i have tried to save in different fomats etc. and no joy.
    your tips would be apreciated
    Marcin

2. Normally, I would suggest creating some separation between instruments within the stereo field, but you can't do that with pre-recorded music. So, really all you can do is adjust levels for the playback system being used. You'll have to shoot for a happy medium. Boost the bass up so it can be heard in the iPhone or home stereo. It may then be a bit much in your monitors. But, you mix with your monitors, so you'll have to learn how much over-loud it needs to be in the monitors so that it can still be heard with the other playback systems.

3. marcin_m

marcin_m

Feb 7, 2009
    London UK
    Hi Nick,
    Thank you for your response.

It seems starnge as i have never had a problem like that,m if anything,m bass would overpower.

I have tested the mix in different environments (car, laptop, monitors) and it cuts nicely.

I understand I won't be able to hear it on iPhone or similar gadget's built in speakers due to their frequency range (it is audible through headphones though)

I came across one more obstacle, the bass cuts through the mix on a home stareo system in the stereo mode however i can not hear it in the surround mode, i guess i might have to do more reading on that.

Once again, thank you

Regards,

Marcin

4. Many people believe that "narrowing" the bass, within the stereo field helps make the bass easier to hear. Make the bass come from out of one small area. Mono, not stereo. No reverb effects.

Surround sound attempts to do just the opposite. It attempts to spread out sound by "widening" the stereo field. Not only left and right, but also front and back. A delay between front and back. A kind of reveb, or slapback effect. That tends to make bass more difficult to hear. One reason why many surround sound systems include a sub-woofer.

5. It sounds like the bass is cancelling itself out. It's like a karaoke machine that removes the vocals from a cd.
    Try doing everything exactly as you did the first time but delete all the other tracks except the bass. This test should let you know where the bass is. if there is any.

6. marcin_m

marcin_m

Feb 7, 2009
    London UK
    Nick,

I have just recorded a rough take in mono to the same backing track and the bass sounds awesome! I have just tested the track on all possible sources and it cuts through on all of them, even my home stereo in surround mode and the iPhone speaker.
    It is also more punchy and deep with no compression nor EQ.

Pop in if you're ever near Hatfield UK and i'll buy you a beer or five coz you definately deserve it:)

Once again thanks a lot for the advice

Marcin

7. marcin_m

marcin_m

Feb 7, 2009
    London UK
    Hi Darius,

Unfortunately i cannot separate the tracks as the backing track is an mp3 with drums, voc and guitar and i was just trying to add bass to it for a demo. I seemed to have found a solution by recording the bass in mono.

Cheers ,

Marcin

8. Super!