Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with rig. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Droog, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Hey guys. Having a little problem with my amp, maybey, not sure whats the deal. So the other night at practice my cab starts sounding like its got a blown speaker, great. So I haul it down to the place I bought it, though did not bring my bass nor my amp. Played a J, through SWR amp to test it at the store and it sounded great. So what the hell. Checked my cables and I highly doubt its my amp. Can my P bass "clip" it self? What could make the distorted sound of a blown speaker if its not a blown speaker? I play an american P-bass, through a 400+ into a Mesa 410. Any ideas would be appreciated?

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It could have been a loose connection somewhere in your signal chain, or maybe one of the components is starting to go bad. The only way to tell for sure is to get another complete rig and start swapping things one at a time until you find the problem. If you can't find anything wrong, you may have an intermittent problem, in which case you might think about where you'll be playing in the near future. It really sucks to have something break on a gig.

3. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    What model of amp do you have?
    What model of bass do yoy have?

4. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Does your bass have a preamp in it? If so check the battery. Also, does your amp have a preamp tube? If so check it as well.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Well the problem seemed to have gone away. We shall see though. A guy at the local shop suggested pulling each power tube and spraying the contacts with a cunductent, then re-seat them into their sockets. I did not have time to do this twelve times, but I did kind of wiggle them and make sure each one was sitting well in the socket. I cleaned a little dust out of the amp and thats about all. Its possible that something got on one of the cones of a speaker and made it flap, but was knocked loose when I transported it. Who knows? If it does it again, I have an amp guy I know who can take a look at it for me. Thanks guys.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Preamp tube?

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Probably was on of the preamp tubes. I noticed that the pre-amp tubes are the originals. Maybey its an indicator that they are on the down hill. Thats not too bad of a fix.