Problems with strap holders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LumpyGravy, Apr 13, 2004.

1. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    It seems that my basses, mainly my 6 stringers, have a problem with the strap holders pulling from the body. I know that if I keep tightening them, they will eventually strip. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and the best way to overcome this. I haven't been able to find longer screws that will fit. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank You!
  2. There's different ways to help with this problem.
    If the screw isn't already stripped, you can remove it, and use a small amount of THIN super glue in the screw threads. The thin glue will wick into the threads, making them harder and a bit tighter. After allowing the glue to dry, reinstall your strap holder and screw. You'll notice more resistance when tightening the screw in.

Another way is to get a longer or heavier wood screw (if possible). A screw with coarser threads will hold in the wood better. Some basses use relatively light screws for the job.

If the screw is already stripped, the best way is to glue in a piece of filler wood (toothpicks, small dowels, etc..) with either wood glue, or medium superglue. I use superglue myself, which really does work well in wood. Then you'll carefully want to re-drill the hole, using the proper-sized bit. Don't use a bit that's too large. Even though the screw would still seem to thread into it, not enough of the threads would "bite" into the wood, and you'd be back to having screws pulling loose.

It's got alot to do with the wood that the bass body is made out of. I've noticed that basswood bodies tend to strip easier, where harder woods hold up much better.

Hope some of these ideas help..

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    theres always the good old tooth pick with glue method, i cant explain worth beans so ill let some one else insight.
  4. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Toothpick and glue it is. I have done it before, and looks like I will do it again. Thanks!

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I modify the strap buttons. I get a Fender washer, and a new screw at the hardware store that's the same(ish) diameter as the original scew, but much longer. Then I take out the original screw, and put in the new screw, with the washer either on top of the strap button (where the screw head is on some strap buttons) or under it, above the felt buffer thingie.

Right behind the washer (wherever it ends up) I put the strap. No screw hassle, and straplocks that only cost <$1.

Just pay attention to the screw part if you don't need straplocks.