Problems with Stringjoy string makers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by road-cat1, Sep 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. road-cat1

road-cat1 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I recently tried Stringjoy strings on my 5 string basses and was impressed. I have ordered from them 2 or 3 times in the past. The last order took longer than expected but I did get response from them regarding the delay in filling the order.
    On 9/21 I ordered another 5 string pack (not a custom gauge order) and got a confirmation email that they received the order. I have checked back after a few days and see that it said "processing". After 1 week it still says "processing" and I attempted to send them a message regarding my order from their website. The website gives an error message that the message could not be sent. SO, I used their email address from the website to use for information. I have been sending emails to them for the last 3 days with no response. There is NO phone number for customer support.
    Does anybody know what might be going on with them? I was initially impressed and would buy more strings from them but after this lack of response and finding that they have not even shipped the order, I will go back to my other strings. I do wonder if any TB'ers know what is going on with them. Are they still in business?

2. This is very strange and surprising...

I have never ordered their strings, but have exchanged emails with Tom Mulvaney a few times. My last conversation with him was on Sept 14, when he responded to my inquiry within half an hour.

3. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Right, and in the past I have had fast response when I had a question. I have had no response from him in 5 days now.

4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    It could be any number of things. Last I knew (although I haven't talked to Scott in a while), they're not only doing pretty great but are also building a dealer network as well. So they're definitely still around.

As for the communication breakdown right now, that could be any number of things as well. They could be pulling double-duty in the shop and can't answer emails in an appropriate timeframe, they're waiting on cover wire before they can reply with a proper response, etc..

packhowitzer likes this.
  5. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Finally received an email from Tom Mulvaney. He said that they had trouble getting the wire that is needed for .105 and should be up and running in the next day or two. I wish that he would have communicated this to me after placing an order that they couldn't fill and not 8 days later after sending several emails. With the USPS shipping times plus the few more days that it will take to make the string, I am still 7-10 days away from receiving my order. Over 3 weeks to get a set of strings!

6. I live in Canada and always order my strings from the US. 2-3 weeks is the norm for me. ;)

eriky4003 and BrentSimons like this.
  7. Just to clarify...

When I posted the comment above, I wasn't trying to dismiss your claim there should have been better communication from Stringjoy regarding the reason for the delay.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  8. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Your message was totally understood. I have ordered from them in the past and typical was a week to 10 days to receive. My concern was that after more than a week, they have not processed the order or shipped it. THEN, you must add the week or so for USPS to get it to my door. I was wondering whether there business was closed due to covid-19, etc. when I did not receive any return emails asking about my order. As I said, I finally DID get a few emails from Tom @ stringjoy today and he apologized for the delay with an explanation that the did not have .105 string. It would have been better to have received that email a day or two after ordering.
    A bigger concern is that people will hoard toilet-paper and cause a shortage again!!!! :));)

BrentSimons and michael_t like this.
  9. Not condoning this type of behaviour but if they advise they aren't sure when they would be able to manufacture and ship the strings, they may lose a lot of orders.

10. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I realize that it is a difficult time now to be a reseller or business owner. Even MF/Guitar Center, etc.. are low on stock.

eriky4003 likes this.
  11. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    That’s also partly from manufacturers refusing to sell to GC because they weren’t paying their invoices.

BrentSimons and road-cat1 like this.
  12. True, though they may loose a lot more orders and possibly customers altogether by not telling people. Usually honesty and being up front is rewarded. It's called good customer relations. (Not dissing the company in question, just making a general observation. Most people will think well of someone for being up front, less well of someone who puts them on the "long finger", in other words stalls on giving the bad news.)

eriky4003 and Tanner5382 like this.
  13. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    My previous experience with this company was fine...that is why I was concerned about what might be happening.

BrentSimons likes this.
  14. Anytime I see smaller companies trying to expand this fast it kind of makes nervous I've seen too many try taking on more then they can chew and the customers end up paying for it more often then not. I hope they slow down and regroup abit before they stretch themselves too thin

BrentSimons and road-cat1 like this.
  15. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I totally understand your point and under different circumstances I would agree with you.

However, being in their exact situation, I can tell you firsthand that telling customers that "We're waiting on material to make the .105, and will let you know when your order ships" does not work nearly as well as you think it does.

Customers are having a hard time grasping that we're all still having supply chain issues and shortages. They think everything should be "back to normal," when this issue isn't going away any time soon.

Suppliers are pushing things out after giving you a ship-by date. We've had materials that "should" ship by end of June that at the last minute, were pushed to mid August. How do we tell customers that? I can't speak for Stringjoy, but for me, I would want to give our customers a firm date instead of "We're waiting on it, and once it's here we'll know more." That hasn't worked out well.

ajkula66, Root 5, BrentSimons and 5 others like this.
  16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Slightly related, but is there another toilet paper shortage coming? Starting to notice dwindling supplies locally and that's one I want to get in front of.

BrentSimons likes this.
  17. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Costco has started limiting to 1 for paper products and bottled water. They claim it is to prevent hoarding in the near future. Supply chain problems with a shortage of truck drivers is what I have been hearing.

BrentSimons likes this.