Problems with Tomastik Jazz Rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Waldog, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I recently put some TI Jazz Roundwounds on my new Victor Bailey Jazz bass. Prior to this bass I was exclusively playing a fretless with TI Jazz flats, which I love. I'm going for a smooth but versatile fingerstyle tone (i.e. the possibility of going brighter than the fretless), and I don't slap. I figured the TI roundwounds would be the perfect compromise between super-ultra-bright roundwounds which I hate, and the flats.

So anyway, right from when I first put them on, the A string sounded much more dull than the other strings. I figured it might have something to do with the nut not holding the light-gauge string of the A well, so I took it to my bass guy (not in person - sent off from the music store), who filled in the nut and set it up good and proper.

The A string is still really dull. It's a really noticeable tonal change from all the other strings - like it's being muted or something. The G string also seems to be a bit less "forward", but it's far less noticeable.

I figured it might just be an adjustment/time thing, but they've been on for two weeks or so now and it's still the case. Does anyone have any suggestions? I noticed that the TI rounds didn't come in one of those protective packages - just the regular plastic and cardboard. Are they supposed to? Could this have something to do with it? Has anyone had a similar experience?

I'm thinking I might just go back to TI flats...
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

There is the possibilty that you got a bad A string - return it to the dealer for a replacement.
  3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I will 2nd Mike's "diagnosis". TIs are, IMHO, absolutely the most versatile and "musical" sounding strings out there. But, they are handmade, and due to this there are times that a "bad" string comes out. I had this happen once with a Jazz Round G string, which like what you described sounded dead.
    FWIW..TI is very conscientious about its customer service and satisfaction. You should have no problem getting a replacement.

4. Thanks for the replies guys. I have emailed my music store to find out about a replacement.

Sometime I'm going to try the flats out on my fretted, but would prefer not to buy another set of new strings just now. I was sooo indecisive about whether to go with the jazz flats or the jazz rounds...
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The Jazz Rounds are excellent strings but they do seem to be at their best when the player is using a touch that varies between light and not-so-light. I've dealt with TI directly and through delaers like Steve Barr and they have been very willing to make a situation right.

Back to your problem: Check that your A-string saddle is properly adjusted and not hung up or sitting on one screw. The lighter tension of Jazz Rounds means that this kind of thing can crop up. I'd also check the string heights and the nut.

If your dealer gives you any flak, get in touch with TI directly and they will hook you right up.