Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I_am_Rage, May 10, 2005.

1. I haven't been to this site to post anything nor played bass for a while. It sucks that the first post I put up in a long time has to deal with amp problems.

Anyway, I have a Hartke HA3500 head connected to Avatar 4x10 and 1x15. It has been sitting in my house for awhile untouched basically b/c I go to college and don't live at home anymore. But today I decided to plug it in a play a bit and to my luck, I get this disgusting fuzzy, distorted, muffled sound from my amps. I changed wires thinking that was a cause. Nope. I tried messing around with the settings. Nope. But I believe it's the Hartke head that is the problem. The back of the head, near the vent was extremely hot after only about five minutes of having it on. Does anyone have any insight into my problem?

:help:

2. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    did ya check the batteries in yer bass?

3. I own a Fender Standard Jazz Bass. It's passive and doesn't require batteries.

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Then there may be some corrosion on your input jacks or on the speaker jacks. Put you jack in the hole and move it in and out. Start out slow at first and then go faster and faster. That should get things working for you if corrosion is the problem. ;)

5. no luck

6. Any other possibilities?

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    ummm yeah i have the same head! Remove the input jacks completly then make sure everything is in good shape then put them back in. For some reason mine came loose!! Try that.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Maybe the preamp tube?

Hmmmm. Dunno. I've had my for 10+ years with no problems..Pop open the hood and take a look-see...anything look suspicious?

9. Try plugging your bass into the effects return jack... it won't be loud but will give you a hint whether it's the pre or power section that's acting up. You can also try patching a cable from the effects send straight back into the return... if the effects loop gets wonky it can create the problem you describe. Good luck.

10. Ok, making progress....I plugged in to the Effects Return Jack in the back of the head and to my surprise, it sounds normal. So what does this mean??? :confused:

11. Good news... the power amp section seems to be working normally. You will still need to pop your amp into the shop for service, but with luck it shouldn't be too costly.

Did you try plugging your bass in as usual and then plugging a cable into the effects loop? Simply put one end of a cable into the effects send jack and the other end into the effects return jack. If your amp works normally when you do this then there is a problem (usually inexpensive to repair) with the effects loop. If the problem persists then there is something amiss with the preamp. It's worth getting checked out in any case.

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Cool! Good call, Oddio!

Joe

13. Thanks, but I can't take full credit. This has come up here previously so really I just saved someone else the typing! :)

14. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Does the signal fuzz out when just the solid state knob of the preamp is turned up? If it just exhibits issues when the tube knob is turned up, might be the 12ax7 in the preamp section has crapped out on you.