1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

problems

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MNbassist, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Im questioning myself, i dont know if I want to make my next bass a 4 or 5 string, its definitely gonna be fretless, I dont own any 5 strings, but i like the low b....any opinions?

2. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    I like 4.

3. Go with the 5.
    reason being Why not?

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    if you don't have a 5, try a 5....it may open up new worlds to you...expand your chops both in playing and building

5. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    The low B will do that to a guy.....If you dont own a 5, buy one with a return option (MF/SAMASH) and try it for a month. Its a free rental period.

Thats what I did years back and all my 4's are unplayed art sculptures now...seriously. I have no need/want for a 4 since then.

6. I don't like the spacing on most fives. Eventually I'm planning on building a full-spaced five.

7. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Wait... which extreme? Are they too wide apart, or are they too close together?

I've found that I love basses where the string spacing is only around 1/2" to 5/8" apart, around 2-1/2" from 1st to 5th. Cuz that close together, I can move quite quickly. If you want to keep the far-apart spacing equal to that of a regular 4-string bass, they exist as well at around 3" from 1st to 5th. I'd definitely recommend spending an afternoon noodling on every 5-stringer you can find. Find one with narrow spacing and with wide spacing. That also makes a difference in how wide the neck is built to match the string spacing.