Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

probs with Aggy's OBP3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by air_leech, Sep 24, 2005.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    posted this in an on-going thread and got no reply so maybe I'll achive better results as a stand alone thread:

I recently installed the OBP-3 in my Streamer LX 5.
    it brought out the true sound of the bass but for some reason the output of the bass tremendously decreased to the point I need to crank up the gain and volume on my amp nearly to the max to achive volumes I could reach on the 3 position of the volume knob on my amp with the old MEC 2 band preamp.

whats the prob?

p.s. I'm running the preamp with a single 9 volter and the pups are MEC actives.

TIA.

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Does the preamp have a volume trim that is tweaked all the way one direction? Just a guess. I would expect an email to Aguliar would get a response. I am sure you have already studied the pdf wiring info on their website.

The difference between 9V and 18V operation is just head room. If you spank the bass hard you may clip the preamp output at 9V and not at 18V. But an 18V battery will not change the volume level. Assuming your 9V battery is fresh. Easy thing to replace.

Good luck.

Dave

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey Dave,

no, there is no trim pot on the preamp module or the components.

I suspect the Vol. and Balance pots are of wrong values for the MEC pickups.

also, the schematics recommends to put two 1 megaohm ressistors on the push/pull pot. to reduce switch click which I did.
    could this be the reason for the reduction in output levels?

4. I just purchased a bass with an OB-3 installed. I do notice that the output is lower than my other active basses. From the documentation on the site, there doesn't seem to be an output pot in the circuit (although I haven't opened up the cavity to confirm that). However... the difference between the OB-3 output and others (Sadowsky, etc.) can be rectified by just a slight increase in the input gain control (on my TF, for example, I run the gain at around 11am for the Sadowsky, and at around 1pm for the OB and get the same volume). If you are not able to bring the volume up with a slight adjustment of the gain control on your amp, something is defective with the pre.