1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Procedure for Replacing Pickguard- P Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vcs700s, Dec 1, 2006.

1. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    It looks like I found someone who stocks a pickguard that will fix my active P Bass.

What can I expect when I replace it? It looks like the pickups stay on the guitar and that I will have to remove the 13 screws and the nuts that hold on my four pots. Will the pots come out of the guitar with the pickguard or are they mounted to the body? I haven't worked on an electric guitar of any type so this is new territory for me. I have worked on plenty of acoustic guitars, but nothing like this.

Anything else? I am trying to make sure "Murphy" doesn't drop by in the process, if you know what I mean.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If the knobs have set screws, loosen them. If they don't they should pull straight off. Unscrew the nuts holding the pots to the guard and let them drop straight down into your bass. Now unscrew the screws holding the pickguard down and remove it.

To install the new one, do each pot one by one, reversed as you did and tighten the nuts. Don't forget the washers on the outside and lock washers on the inside (should still be on the pot shaft) and simply screw in.

It's really a quite simple operation. The only thing to know is the pickups are mounted to your body and the pots are mounted to your pickguard.

3. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    murphy?

4. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    "Murphy's law dictates that anything that CAN possibly go wrong WILL, inevitably, go wrong."

But yeah, what tplyons said, that should get it done.

5. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

Let's hope Murphy is on vacation when I do the replacement.

6. nope Murphy never takes a vacation but if you're careful you can sneak some work in before he notices

7. wpkg

wpkg

Sep 22, 2006
    bloomfield, nj
    ok so how bout this one? I just did the same and now my knobs are way higher than they were before... same as on my jazz when I changed those pots. I had one pot one washer and one lock washer and they are all in the same place and the pots are just as tall as the old one. but know the knobs are showing a nice big gap between themselves and the pickguard. I guess I just have to put some spacers on the pot shaft underthe pickguard, or did I screw something up?

oh and incidentally murphy didnt show up at all, however after soldering everything up I did manage to put a nice ugly scratch in the finish with a rough bit of wire. good thing it was an SX...

and lastly... does anyone else HATE p bass knobs? or push on knobs of any kind? I put some jazz knobs on the p bass, have to say it looks kinda cool...

8. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    DO you hate the look, or getting them to stay put? If it's the look, I can't help you, but if you are having trouble getting them to stay on, stick a screwdriver down the split shaft of the pot and open it up a little.

9. wpkg

wpkg

Sep 22, 2006
    bloomfield, nj
    No I actually kinda like the look, but push on knobs... I almost pressed the pots through the pickguard getting them on, granted they were brand new cts pots and older knobs but no knobs I had fit the things with out crushing the shaft closed a bit... the opposite problem you mention. I put a pair of Jazz knobs on it and its really growing on me and much easier to put on.

10. yeah he did ....that's why those knobs don't fit right

11. wpkg

wpkg

Sep 22, 2006
    bloomfield, nj
    no... Murphy doesnt concern himself with minor little details like that, when he shows up there is usually some swearing, something that looks like it should work yet doesnt, and probably some smoke.

Cosmetic issues like knobs are the realm of his less than capable younger brother skippy.