1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Processors, like them or not?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chap, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm in a band and I don't use any effects or processors, I just plug my bass right into my amp. And it sounds good. I just feel like bass doesn't need a lot of effects. A friend of mine uses a bunch of processors (like the BBE) and raves on about how god it is. What do you guys feel?

2. ** Austin powers voice on **

Whatever suits your bag, baby.. yeah ! :D

** Austin powers voice off **

Personally i hardly play clean.. i pretty much always play with overdrive or chorus on.. but like i always say.. some like it shaven, and some like it hairy..( no.. i am referring to FACIAL hair ;) ) it's just a matter of taste eh.. if you like to play clean, go for it ! :)

3. While I'm not into "Effects" per say...
    I do use a Noise Suppressor, Compressor, and BBE.
    From dead quite to Loud & Punch to Sweetness.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not - well he asked!! ;)

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I think chorus is about the only effect I'd use. I play a fretless, you see.

6. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV
    Does the BBE really help that much? What does it do? I know there are two differend models/ kinds: on has lights and the other doesn't. Whats better?

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    There are actually several BBE models available.
    BBE has a list of the current ones one the website:
    http://www.bbesound.com/products/maxim/maxim.asp
    They also have manuals for the current and most of the older models if you happen to be looking at used models:
    http://www.bbesound.com/support/index.asp

There are many used BBE products at:
    http://www.musicgoround.com/
    Just do a search for "BBE".
    Since there are not many pictures on musicgoround, I would suggest looking at the manual for the Model number in question on the BBESound website.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    What one's better? The one with lights obvioulsy:D

Seriously tho, it's quite hard to explain exactly what it does to your sound, you really need to try one out, on your own rig if poss.
    I have a similar item (Behringer Ultrafex). Their main functions are to enhance the top end, so that harmonics shimmer, and high noted cut thru without sounding harsh; and to increase the bottom end, without it sounding muddy/woolley.
    It makes my humble 250w combo sound twice as big. As one of my guitarist friends said, it's the first time he's heard a studio sound coming out of a live rig.
    I had the comment at a national guitar meet 2 months ago with 40odd guitarists and a few lowenders. None of them had an enhancer. Now 4 or 5 of them do.
    I've also had more comments post gigs about my sound after using the unit than before I bought it. Everyone seems to be amazed by the sound that comes out of such a diminutive rig.

9. heheh :) Behringer rulez ;)

I've got the Behringer Ultrabass, which is a subharmonics synth.. spices up your sound a lot :D

tried the BBE plugin yesterday with some MP3's... sounds good indeed ! might check out the hardware version some time soon..

10. Screw the lights.

A BBE 362NR is cool 'cause of the Noise Reduction feature.