Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Processors, like them or not?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chap, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I'm in a band and I don't use any effects or processors, I just plug my bass right into my amp. And it sounds good. I just feel like bass doesn't need a lot of effects. A friend of mine uses a bunch of processors (like the BBE) and raves on about how god it is. What do you guys feel?

2. ** Austin powers voice on **

Whatever suits your bag, baby.. yeah ! :D

** Austin powers voice off **

Personally i hardly play clean.. i pretty much always play with overdrive or chorus on.. but like i always say.. some like it shaven, and some like it hairy..( no.. i am referring to FACIAL hair ;) ) it's just a matter of taste eh.. if you like to play clean, go for it ! :)

3. While I'm not into "Effects" per say...
    I do use a Noise Suppressor, Compressor, and BBE.
    From dead quite to Loud & Punch to Sweetness.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not - well he asked!! ;)

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I think chorus is about the only effect I'd use. I play a fretless, you see.

6. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Does the BBE really help that much? What does it do? I know there are two differend models/ kinds: on has lights and the other doesn't. Whats better?

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    There are actually several BBE models available.
    BBE has a list of the current ones one the website:
    http://www.bbesound.com/products/maxim/maxim.asp
    They also have manuals for the current and most of the older models if you happen to be looking at used models:
    http://www.bbesound.com/support/index.asp

There are many used BBE products at:
    http://www.musicgoround.com/
    Just do a search for "BBE".
    Since there are not many pictures on musicgoround, I would suggest looking at the manual for the Model number in question on the BBESound website.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    What one's better? The one with lights obvioulsy:D

Seriously tho, it's quite hard to explain exactly what it does to your sound, you really need to try one out, on your own rig if poss.
    I have a similar item (Behringer Ultrafex). Their main functions are to enhance the top end, so that harmonics shimmer, and high noted cut thru without sounding harsh; and to increase the bottom end, without it sounding muddy/woolley.
    It makes my humble 250w combo sound twice as big. As one of my guitarist friends said, it's the first time he's heard a studio sound coming out of a live rig.
    I had the comment at a national guitar meet 2 months ago with 40odd guitarists and a few lowenders. None of them had an enhancer. Now 4 or 5 of them do.
    I've also had more comments post gigs about my sound after using the unit than before I bought it. Everyone seems to be amazed by the sound that comes out of such a diminutive rig.

9. heheh :) Behringer rulez ;)

I've got the Behringer Ultrabass, which is a subharmonics synth.. spices up your sound a lot :D

tried the BBE plugin yesterday with some MP3's... sounds good indeed ! might check out the hardware version some time soon..

10. Screw the lights.

A BBE 362NR is cool 'cause of the Noise Reduction feature.