proco fat max speaker cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by worldwidepants, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was in a guitar center the other day looking at speaker cables and I saw these. I went "HOLY COW, these are the hugest freaking cables!!!" I'm sure that some of that is thick covering but man, 8 gauges is fat. I was thinking about buying one. Does anyone have any experience with these?
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Haven't tried `em but yeah, they are BIG sonofaguns.

How much were they goin' for?

Here's from the ProCo site...
    • "A massive 8-gauge cable consisting of four 11-gauge
      conductors in a special bi-wired geometry, Fat Max is
      designed to deliver the maximum damping factor for tight,
      chest-slamming lows and a wide, clearly defined audio
      spectrum. The unique AmeriQuad geometry reduces crossover
      network interaction and cable inductance, resulting in less
      stray capacitance for the cleanest possible high-frequency
      response and superb sound stage. Designed for a lifetime
      of use and abuse, Fat Max features sonically welded terminations
      and the best connectors made today."
  3. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    "Bi-wired"?? That's an audiophool perversion that has no basis in fact, and is a waste of good copper.

I'm all for big fat speaker cables, but 8 gauge is definitely overkill. No one here is ever likely to need more than 12 gauge speaker cables.
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Can we say overkill? I mean, please, I thought 12 gauge was unnecessary.

At least they're made by ProCo, so you know you're gonna get a decent price.
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Never tried them but I have to take a look at them when I'm in the Pro Audio area. GC has the price listed on their peg tag at something like $60 or $80 but if you look on the box the manufacturer marked them at $39.95. I've thought about snagging one to try out (at $39.95). GC has that return policy that will let you give them a spin and if they don't cut it then you can return it.

Let us know if you do give it a try.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use 'em. I like 'em. I can't tell the difference between them and my own hand-made 12-gauge cables, but you can't be too careful, can you? It's like all those folks who believe in god, "just in case."
  7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Ha. Always funny, Munji, always.:rolleyes:

From what I've heard (dozens and dozens of times) an 8 gauge cable is fairly useless simply because none of the other wires inside your amp are near that big.

"Only as good as the weakest link."
  8. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
  9. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    That link isnt working, Andy
  10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Lo-end, Andy just put an "n" instead of an "m" at the end of .com.

I like the Proco's better.
  11. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    None of the wires in your amp are that long either.... resistance involves thickness and length.
  12. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
  13. What a crock. Bi-wired, ameriquad geometry? This is pseudoscience at it's best. Nonsense. There's also no way to get the entire diameter of an 8 guage wire into the holes in a 4 pin speakon connector. Well at least they aren't asking $300 for them. I don't think it would hurt to use 8 guage cable, but I also don't think it's necessary. I work in pro audio and the largest speaker cables generally used are 12 guage. Going up to 10 or 8 just doesn't make that much difference, so the extra cost and weight aren't justifiable.
  14. sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    ^the advert claims its 4- 11 gauge wires. I acutally just opened up the speakon end of my speakon-1/4 fat max, and indeed there are some hella thick copper cables in there. Also, they do seem to be wired in 4 pin, or maybe just 2 pin with 4 inputs.

I was planning on putting a speakon end on the fat max (home job). thoughts?
  15. Talk about bringing it back from the dead, this thread is over 5 years old!
  16. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I actually have one.
    It's a good strong cable and takes a lot of abuse. No difference in sound quality...especially since it's only 3 feet long. I have a 12 Ga. cable from Hosa that performs exactly the same and costs 1/3 of the price.
  17. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I seem to remember that a 10 gauge (for instance) cable with thin strands will carry more current that a 10 gauge cable with thick strands. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  18. I dont know that it is (why is house wiring solid core for instance?).

I vaguely remember a theory about electrons travelling along the outer surface of a wire, and hence stranded had a higher capacity. However, I cant remember if its true or not!
  19. bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I say that worldwidepants doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. Too bad he can't defend himself since he hasn't been active here since 2004. LOL!
  20. kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    I've found that the best way to think about eletron flow is to compare it to water. For instance: the thinner the hose the higher the output pressure will be; the thicker the hose the lesser the pressure. Electrons will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance, so in theory, the thicker guaged wire would provide the least resistance thus producing an overall less strain on the power section. Will the thicker guage affect the overall tone? Well, I've compared Livewires to Monster cables, guess what, no audible difference. There is an electrical difference though because gold is a better conductor than nickel.:smug: Am I wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.