1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proco Juggernaut, or regular RAT??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flipper123, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Flipper123

Flipper123

Oct 11, 2009
    Hey guys, i've been looking to get a new distortion pedal, and i really liked the Proco rat line as a guitarist. But now that i'm on bass, i need something else. I hear you can get your rat modded to sound better with the bass, if so, where? and also, what are your thoughts on the juggernaut? i havn't been able to find any clips of it being used. Thanks guys.

2. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    I love my Turbo Rat, but it's temperamental. Definitely hard to dial in a "good" tone, but when you have it, it's devastating.

3. Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition.

4. Flipper123

Flipper123

Oct 11, 2009
    Oh thats cool, does it maintain low end nicely? and what settings do you prefer?

5. Flipper123

Flipper123

Oct 11, 2009
    I was looking at one of those for a period of time, but im not to sure if it will be gritty enough. I can't find any sound clips :[

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I didn't care for the Juggernaut when I tried it and I too like the Turbo Rat better. I like it with the filter cranked and the distortion up just a bit for a touch of grit and crunch and I like the filter rolled back and the distortion around 9-10 o'clock for all out distortion. I don't find much point in turning the distortion knob much further than that.

It holds the low end okay, but you will lose some. That's really just the nature of the beast. I have yet to find a pedal that can give that aggressive, harsh crunch type distortion on bass that doesn't lose low end. As you'd expect it loses less bass on milder settings.

Here are some clips of the XXLB from BassTasters. I'd say they are pretty accurate other than that I could never get the Tech 21 to be as low gain as they get it in a couple clips. The full on distortion sounds are pretty similar to what I got through my full rig.

Again as with seemingly EVERY distortion it cuts a bit of lows. Not as much as most bass (or guitar) distortions though.

7. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I put up some clips of the Zvex Box of Metal, have a listen to those.

8. cp4eva

cp4eva

Jul 17, 2009
    Houston, TX
    +1

9. DrKagemusha

DrKagemusha

Jan 14, 2008
    I got the Juggernaut and it's my only distortion. Love the blend knob to keep the distortion on the back for presence or on the front to rip through the mix.

10. Oh trust me, it will be MORE than gritty enough. :D

it's not like a Rat, but it's a unique sound. It's one of a very few pedals that you can say are true distortion pedals for bass.

I love mine.

11. Flipper123

Flipper123

Oct 11, 2009
    Wow man, you're making it sound really awesome. Doesn't it have that weird warp control? what does it do?

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Not much. Which is to say, it's pretty subtle - to the point where you don't notice much difference if you have somebody rotate it back and forth while playing. According to Tech 21 it "manipulates the structure and balance of odd and even harmonics and influences their relativity to the dynamics of your instrument and your playing style." But to me it is just a small change in the attack/roundness of each note with one side (I forget which) sounding a bit more modern and the other more old school.

The XXLB is a lot "fizzier" than a Rat and closer to a hard edged fuzz sound. It is VERY responsive to your playing dynamics which is cool.

The Box of Metal is another good suggestion.

13. the right is more old school, and the left is more modern.

Ex. When you turn turn the Warp knob full right, it sounds more "tubey" and when full left sounds more "Godflesh". At least, IMHO