Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ProCo Rat: Which one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ely, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I have the money to buy my first effects pedal and I have one burning question in my mind:
    What's the difference between all the Rats? There is the Turbo Rat, the Vintage Rat, and the Rat II. What do each of them sound like and which would be better for bass? Give me your opinions.

Thanks

2. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Ely,

This is truly uncanny! I've been wondering this exact question the past couple of days and was thinking of posting something along the very lines of your question.

I just finished a recording session in one of the top studios here in Vancouver and the producer used a Pro Co Rat distortion pedal on my rig to make the bass come alive. With the flip of a switch, and the tweak of a knob, my Peavey Mark VIII head instantly morphed into a classic SVT!! Unbelieveable.

He was using the classic Rat pedal. (The one with the smallest chassis, almost 5 x 5 x 2 inches.)

I'm definitely setting my sights on one of these.

3. I have heard rumors of a bass rat comming soon...

4. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Anyone remember the Roland Rat? It was much less usefull than any of the other ones mentioned but was bizzarely popular during the 80's with adults and children alike. Made strange "KKYYEEEVVVIIINNNN" noises and, indeed was often found alongside the Kevin model. Very unfashionable now though.

It's late and I need to sleep. :oops:
    Let me out of this damn effects forum!

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I have a couple ProCo Rats laying around my house (they are the same model.) They just say "ProCo Rat.) There is an LED in the "A" of "RAT."

6. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I tried out the classic Rat today and it was awesome! I woulda bought it if the store wasn't asking $150 for it! :eek: I've seen it online for about $80, but most of the damn music stores around here charge list or even above list! :( :mad:

Portait of Tracy - Can ya send me one? ;) :D

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Check out www.americanmusical.com. I got my Rat 2 from them, think I paid about $65 (too lazy to look it up right now).

Totally happy with what it does for me.