Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Proco Rat

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flea666, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    do Les Claypool and Justin Chancellor use this proco rat

[​IMG]

Or this one

[​IMG]

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm almost 100% sure the second one (the Vintage one.)

3. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    whats the difference?

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I heard their better, but i'm getting the RAT II anyways. You can always get them modded by Robert Keeley if you feel they don't give you enough bass. I just made a thread on this a couple weeks ago, and there's a lot of info in it.

5. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    ok cool thanks alot

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    But for the price of a keeley modded rat there are a hell of a lot of other pedals that are just as good straight out of the box.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    +1. ive got some out of the box toys and ive got the rat, without mod.

8. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    Does any one actually kno the difference between the, ratt II and the vintage rat?

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Somebody makes a Rat clone called a Massacre, but I can't find the site for the life of me.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've played just about every pedal on the market and I've yet to find one that sounds as good as the 80's Rat. New Rats, no matter what model, sound like crap unless they've been modded to original specs, so that's why I sucked it up and bought a Keeley Rat.

I shouldn't say sound like crap because other pedals sound fine, but none but the Rat give me that hard edge without going over into Big Muff mosquito-fuzzland.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the chat gents. I'm gonna get myself one of those Keeley modded Rat's.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As a Muff lover, there's nothing like having a RAT on your board for that extra, full out distortion. I had no problem with the RAT as stock, but I still swapped the IC and a few caps to make it a bit better usually.

14. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    do you have the rat II or the vintage rat?

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I always preferred the RAT II, but I'd like to try a Juggernaut.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Had one, almost no difference with a bass between the RAT II and Turbo RAT, but it was a lot more obvious difference with a guitar.

17. I use the Rat II and love it, although I just use it to grit up my bass instead of just distorting it. I crank the tone and volume knobs and then use the distortion knob to match the on/off levels. Works for me.

18. Hi Keeley-RAT owners. What Keeley-Rat do you own. The RAT II+ or the Bass RAT+???