1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Prodigy bass cab match...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by duderus, Jul 3, 2014.

1. duderus

duderus Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Hello all,

I did a search and found nothing on optimal cab matches for the mesa bass prodigy. ( found one mini one but wasn't what I was looking for)

So, I have crush on the vintage 2x15 or ph1000 vintage style. However, I wonder with a tube amp Ike this if these 2x15 are to much. So my question is, what line should I go with within the mesa cab series. The traditional? Vintage? Powers house?

I like the 2x15s, 4x12s, and the ph 1000 idea but could be too much.

(I am currently running a NYC epifani 2x12 which sounds better in normal position not on its side.) doesn't have as much as I think one of these bigger cab would give in terms of tone and punch)

Looking for opinions. Thank you!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd pass on the Powerhouse 100/1200 for sure, you can find lots of info on that cab. Otherwise, a 215 would be my choice, or a pair of 212's. Regular and Vintage PH cabs are the same, just dressed differently. Not sure about the Traditional, those may be voiced differently. Any modern Mesa cab, except the PH1200 is a good choice though.

Sartori, CL400Peavey and duderus like this.
  3. duderus

Dec 5, 2012
    Should I get a 4 ohm and call it a day? Or 8 ohm 2x15. I am thinking 1 4ohm

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You gain nothing by using a 4 ohm cab, but you lose the option of using a 2nd cab. Tube amps don't increase power with a 4 ohm load.

Sartori and CL400Peavey like this.
  5. +1 to this. If I was looking at a mesa cab I would go with a 215 to start.

Sartori likes this.
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I use mine mostly with a Bergantino HS410. Kills. I also pair it with a Bergantino AE212 when I need a smaller cab

7. kimmyt

kimmyt Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Gilroy, CA
    Just picked up a Prodigy here on TB and also a Gen 3 Super 12 Barefaced cab. Have played 2 shows with it one in a club the other outside. Was able to dial the punch I needed on both gigs. I love Mesa cabs, owned a 4x10, 1x15 and 2x10 but let them go due to size and weight. I had a Ampeg Heritage SVT head and ran it with my Mesa 1x15 and 2x10 and loved, simply loved the results. I know the consensus here on TB is not to mix cabs, but it worked for me. I know that a Heritage and the Prodigy are not the same but they are all tube and you get the same all tube base starting point. Good luck in your search. I have a TC Electronics RS212 for sale here, it also sound pretty damn good with that.

8. duderus

Dec 5, 2012

Thoughts on 2 1x15s vs 1 2x12?

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Lugging one cab vs. two (I greatly prefer lugging one)
    The 2 1X15's will be slightly taller, possibly making it easier to hear yourself
    All things being equal, the 2 1X15's will probably be a little louder overall

Either option will do the job plenty fine. I gigged a pair of 1X12's for a few years, then switched to a pair of 1X15's, then switched to a 2X12. I was always happy with my tone and volume. My 2X12 weighs about the same as one of the other cabs, and as I mentioned above, it's just easier to move one cab around. YMMV.

10. Mesas all around? That will come down to personal preference. The two 115 will be louder.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm working on my review of the Prodigy and Strategy heads, plus the Traditional Powerhouse 4x10 and 8x10. The new Traditional Powerhouse line is very different from the existing Powerhouse and Vintage Powerhouse line of cabs. They are much more relaxed, smooth, and forgiving. Less mid-forward and aggressive. This is of course totally on purpose, to provide a different flavor.

The Prodigy has worked well with both the Traditional PH410 and PH810, but I also liked it a lot with my older Mesa Powerhouse and (even older) Diesel cabs. That PH210 is one of my favorite cabs, ever!

I can definitely see where it would be a great match with the Bergantino HS410, Rob. The HD212 is a great match, as well.

In short, it will pair up with a variety of cabs, but if you give yourself more cone area, you'll have a lot more overall volume on tap.

Sartori and sunbeast like this.
  12. duderus

Dec 5, 2012
    Would you say you like the tone of the 4x10 ,more than the 2x12? Do you get more bass response from the 2x12 vs the 4x10?

13. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I like 4x10. It's my favorite cabinet of all time. Loud punchy etc. 2x12 is cool too. Just prefer non neo speakers

14. After spending a few hours at BassNW listening to cabs, I ended up getting a Bergantino HD 210 with a Bergantino NV115. They just sound good together. Despite what others may say on this web sight, I find them to be a great combination of depth and punch.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    chaosMK and tombowlus like this.
  15. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood

Thinking about trying the Prodigy with my G3 Barefaced Super Compact. I'm heading down to the Mesa shop to see what the output level is like. My Buster sounds great through the cab and can get loud, but I've yet to try it with a band to be certain.

"Comparison is the thief of joy."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

16. duderus

Dec 5, 2012
    How do the HS series compare to their hd series? There is a n hs4x10 at my local GC and your making me want to go try it.

What other types of cabs work best for a tube amp like this?

Thanks for your time.

17. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Any Berg w ceramic speakers is on my list. The hs and hd are very similar. Can't go wrong

18. duderus

Dec 5, 2012

Why do you believe the hs4x10 bergantino would be a great match for this head?
    just curious because there is one for sale at my local GC I may go try.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own an HS410, and while I have not tried it with the Prodigy (yet), I have used my HS410 with a variety of heads (both tube and SS), and I have also used the Prodigy with some cabs that I have previously directly compared to the HS410. So, yes, I am extrapolating a bit, but not blindly so.

20. Why would you limit yourself by getting the 4 ohm?

It's a tube amp. It's the same output power no matter what the cab's impedance is.

I would recommend the 2x15. 8 ohm, if it's available.

Might also want to check out used stuff, too. The old Diesel/RR cabs can be found in craigslist sometimes.