1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Prodigy or Monique and Minnie D800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass1107, Oct 4, 2013.

1. bass1107

bass1107

Jun 4, 2003
    Darlington, SC
    Trying to decide between Mesa Prodigy or Monique and Minnie D800. Current cabs are Accugrove Whappo Jr., Berg EX112, Epi UL410. Play classic rock and Gospel. Favorite bass amp is Mesa 400+, which I gladly replaced with M9 Carbine due to weight. Don't require large venue volume but want deep bass without sacrificing mids and top end sparkle. Play 5 string Sadowsky, Music Man, or F bass. No where to hear 1st hand what I prefer. Any thoughts?

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Monique/Minnie combination is the best setup I've owned/played/heard. Haven't played the new Mesa stuff but I've never been a big fan of their bass gear. Ymmv.

minnie1.

3. bass1107

bass1107

Jun 4, 2003
    Darlington, SC
    Thanks, it looks very cool. Is the 800 watts enough to cover larger gigs?

4. jdwinva

jdwinva

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    When I owned a Mesa M9 Carbine (hybrid amp) I never had and issues but I know plenty of people that had on stage melt downs with Mesa gear. The reliability issue would steer me away from Mesa, especially a brand new product! They have amazing customer service and stand by their products but I must have a reliable product for me to have any interest.

5. Can hands down recommend the De Monique ! It's exudes excellence in every aspect of its build! The tone is wonderfully musical! Your bass and technique will shine through your cab!

6. Here's a picture of mine atop Duke's Audiokinesis Hathor 1544

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1380950780.426418.

7. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I have never heard or messed with a Monique, but it does look kinda hot.

I do have the new Prodigy, though. I'm still exploring it, but I have played it through a pair of PH4x12's, a PH2x15, a PH8x10, and a pair of Walkabout Scout extension 1x12 cabs.
    Also used a second Prodigy to run different combinations of the above list.
    I used a variety of basses: Fender TF's, both fretted and fretless, a 6HH Bongo, and a 6 string Warwick Alien fretless with black tape wounds.
    The Prodigy is a for real, round, fat, amp that can do uber-clear and punchy, all the way to warm and crunchy or hairy. IMO, it does it's best work in the punchy and fat, and round category, and I have used it in "Full Power" mode the most...SO FAR, as I'm still working with it. I do have a lot of distorted Mesa Titan tracks that I'm working on blending in with the Prodigy, too.

I opted to purchase the optional foot switch, and don't regret it one bit. It's handy.
    We are currently recording an album, so hopefully, I will have some good clips to post somewhere in TB in a couple of weeks...I don't normally like to post anything before the whole disc is completed, but we'll see.
    It is a VERY loud amp, especially with the 2(PH4x12's), at 8 ohms each.
    That got a lot more wordy than I anticipated!
    Right now, I'm giving the Prodigy head a 5 bass player rating:
    :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

8. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    based on what I've read (no experience with either, sadly) The Minnie/Monique marriage is heavenly. I doubt I'll see a better rig than that..

9. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    800 w ? Thats a lot. I would have pr
    efered 400.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I replaced a Mesa D180 as well as a M9 with Monique. Blows both of them away IME and I though the M9 was the best sounding amp I ever played.

Personally, I would go with Monique and a cheaper power amp, but that is just me. Minnie looks cool,but I am loving my $350 Crest ProLite 2.0 with Monique.

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I would go with Monique, too. Maybe not with Demeter power, though, as it makes the rig too pricey (worth it, but still pricey) for my wallet. There really is something special about Monique, and you have to play it to understand it.

12. bass1107

bass1107

Jun 4, 2003
    Darlington, SC
    Thanks to everyone for the input. Sounds like monique is in my future.

13. jdwinva

jdwinva

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    I am on the Monique production schedule and will be pairing a Monique rack version with a Crest Pro-LITE 2.0.

14. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    ha! i posted my monique vs prodigy thoughts in the monique thread and you said it was an "unfair comparison"
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/jule-amps-monique-part-4-a-1000579/index21.html#post14886794
    yet, here it is being of interest :D

I'm gonna say Prodigy if you do mainly live work, and Monique if you mainly record.

Since the OP said top end sparkle is of interest, I'd say the Prodigy provides more than Monique. I've played the Prodigy a few times, and I own a Monique with a Crown XLS poweramp. I came from a TecAmp Black Jag, and a Mesa M6 before that. Monique felt much more tubey and sparkly than the Jag, but the Prodigy out-sparkles Monique. I can get a bit of the sparkle with Monique using the Player Control Network on my PH115, and juicing up the brightest crossover setting. My Jazz bass through the Prodigy (Voicing 2) and a 115 was rad. Check this vid at about 6:30 -

OP mentioned deep bass too. Don't expect M9 big, wide, pillow lows. Prodigy is more refined and tighter. Monique will do nice lows recorded. I've gotten some big deep sounds in Logic. However, I have no idea how well the Prodigy DI delivers recordings.

Edit - Since you play Classic Rock, I'd vote Prodigy. It is a rock machine. It just makes you want to go go go. However, the Monique might fit better with gospel. It is a very "nice" sounding amp, very refined and accurate. Prodigy is a bit rougher around the edges and a little rowdy.

15. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    PS - I own Monique, and I'm GAS-ing for the Prodigy, and scheming to keep both (though I may be willing to part with Mo if push comes to shove).

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I had a long rehearsal tonight with my Monique and Crest ProLite 2.0. Thru my Berg cabs, it sounds killer for everything I play.

We had a crazy rehersal as have a few different gigs coming up that require us to play everything from Johnny Cash, new country, Ozzy, SRV, 70's funk, 80's new wave and hair metal, R&B, Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots, current Top 40, Beatles, Buckcherry, ZZ Top, etc. Basically everything.... And Monique sounds great for everything.

Only amp I have gigged with for over a year. It really does seem to work for everything.

17. Also, be aware that Jule makes a 'DeMonique' model, which is basically a Minnie 800 built into the Tardis preamp. So, you would have an all in one head a bit smaller than the Mesa M6, and a fraction of the weight (light enough to bag it if you so choose). Around the same price as a new M9.

I have one on the way also!

Edit: Per Monsterthompson's review, there is really nothing on the market like the M6/M9, with that massive, wide open low end and super aggressive upper mid and treble response. If you really dig that, I would guess the Monique would not be your thing. Seems like the Prodigy would give you that bite up top, but with a more controlled low end (and most likely quite a bit less overall volume unless you wanted to really push/grind the tube power section).

18. JP123

JP123

Jun 22, 2009
    Australia
    I wouldn't be so quickly swayed towards the Jule amp, you are going to get a lot more fans weighing in straight up as they have obviously been in the market a lot longer than the Prodigy (a whole 5 minutes).

These amps are hugely different on paper so you if you can you should give both a workout if possible. Probably difficult I know.

I played the Prodigy and I've gotta say this is one very impressive amp! From plug in to play to pack down and very flexible tonal options.
    Although it does have a lot of scooped eq options it does have an inherent midrange footprint. Turn the amp up and it becomes very potent. Apart from a real plug in n play feel, features I really appreciated were the 3 switch input to give you a different Preamp flavour and the half power switch.
    I asked a the tech in the shop if he put it on his dyno yet, it clocked in at very close 250 clean watts.
    Hope that helps...

That said I'd love a Jule Tardis ;)

2 of the most compelling amps on the market right now!.
    I'd give the MESA some more time to weigh in on the subject though.

Brilliant amps, enjoy the ride!

19. bass1107

bass1107

Jun 4, 2003
    Darlington, SC
    Your 're not making this any easier, back on the fence.

20. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    you will be happy with either. it is just what flavor of happy you want.

honestly, if you record and/or go direct frequently, that could be the deal maker, and Mo may be the answer. i didn't try the DI on the Prodigy, but my bet is that it doesn't do the DI thing as well.

If that isn't a big deal for you, the other fine point to consider is low volume practice. There is so little hiss/noise out of Mo that every other amp you play at low volumes will sound noisy.

the bax style EQ on the Mo is a different beast from the Mesa tone stack. not good or bad, just different. with my PH115, it seems harder to dial in a radical eq setting. the Mesa will let you do wilder things. perhaps a different cab would be more responsive to the Mo EQ.