1. Ask Leland Sklar @ TalkBass! Please note that new threads in this forum will be placed in a queue briefly for moderation. Sklar is probably the busiest bassist on earth, so please give him time to respond. Thank you!
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Producer-favored basses and gear?

Discussion in 'Ask Leland Sklar' started by Low84, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Hi, Leland! I truly appreciate you taking time to be involved with this forum!

What's it like in today's studio world regarding the preferred gear used to record bass guitar? Does your experience show that producers and engineers only want to work with certain bass makes/models? If so, what are those go-to basses that get the most use? Or has the technology evolved so that most savvy producers can get decent tones out of any bass?

Same line of questions for amps and cabinets.

Any interesting or funny stories of players having to step out of their comfort zone and use equipment they're unfamiliar with in the studio?

Gracias!

Low84

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    soundfan75 likes this.
  2. Leland Sklar

Leland Sklar

May 12, 2015
    Warwick, Dingwall, Euphonic Audio, GHS
    I have never experienced a producer or engineer preferring a certain bass. They expect you to use what you think is best for the gig. That is why I usually have a couple of basses with me on sessions. You should be able to get a good tone from almost any decent bass. I have had some ask if I have a certain bass and if I do not they so cool, just bring what you usually have. If you were on a specific project and they asked for something really unusual then maybe it could be rented for the date. That is how I got my Hofner. I did a project and the producer really wanted a Hofner on one of the tracks so we rented one and I ended up liking it and got one of my own later. Same for the amps and cabs. Most of the time they just want a DI. I bring an amp with me and like to use it whether or not they record it. Just like having some bottom next to me rather than relying on headphones only. No stories from experience. Just have gear you are comfortable with and it should work depending on the style or genre.

dan1952, Oddly, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  3. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Thank you for the reply!